Tuesday 1 April 2014

To Create Or To Consume?

Much has been said or written about today's lifestyle alongside modern technology;  on this blog however, let me just talk about the information overload that most of us get from social media. I wouldn't claim that it is bothering me at all, in fact I'm even enjoying it and I am really indulging to a certain extent.  

We open Facebook and we get so much information from friends; and the more friends we have, the more information we get. They come in every form; as a message, a recipe, a picture, a video, a quote, a link to something or just anything. 

We turn on the tv and we get lots and lots of news, commentaries, talk shows, cooking, travel, decorating, movies, the information is endless.  

We meet up with friends after work, our supposed downtime, to relax and enjoy catching up with them and then our blackberry rings, boss is telling us something urgent that came up that needed immediate action. 

Then our iPhone rings and there is more coming from either a friend or a family member.  If we missed a call, good manners demand a call back ASAP.

I read that if we are saturated with so much information then we need to release them, otherwise, this influx of information will predominate our thoughts thus preventing us to think about worthwhile ideas that will enhance our lives. Spending so much time absorbing these information and commenting or responding to them deprives us of time that may otherwise be spend on matters more important to us. 

What to do then? 

"Creating art offers an outlet and a release to all that.  Take a minute to ignore all the incoming signals and create an outgoing one instead.  Produce something, express yourself in some way.  As long as you contribute rather that consume then anything that you do can be a work of art. " ---James Clear.

I for one takes in a lot of information as well; while I take my morning coffee, I download Facebook posts and make comments. Oftentimes, a video or a link is shared,  a friend posts: "I love this" and it beacons to me : "look at this, it's interesting", it says, then I am curious and I open the video or the link. 

While eating my oatmeal for breakfast, I continue reading the novel I started. My husband turns on the tv and I watch whatever is showing. Then in the middle of it all, "I got mail". As I read it, a Facebook message pops up and my sister wants to FaceTime, she wants to share things about our family.  
 
Following James Clear's advise, I felt I need to do something, I need to create, but how?  I can't sing, I love to dance but It wouldn't be fun doing it alone; I can't draw nor paint.

But I can write, I like to make speeches, I like to add phrases to birthday greetings rather than just  the plain "happy birthday". I also want to write down my thoughts  and what happens in my  everyday life, I want to share what I bake or cook; hence this blog. At least I don't only consume, I create, I contribute and I share. 

How about you, don't you end up feeling empty or even frustrated after a whole morning of reading posts on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and responding to some?  Isn't it depriving you of your precious time to do even the basic things you need to do?







No comments:

Post a Comment