Wednesday 16 April 2014

Holy Week Memories In Recent Years

My Holy Week after I got married was pretty much the same as my childhood since my husband and I made it a point to go home to the province during this time. 

In my husband's province, we come home to big vats of live local fishes still swimming in water to eat during this week. My mother-in-law only prepares fish and local vegetables during the whole week, she only prepared the festive food on Easter Sunday. For us, it's still a feast because we don't get to eat these fresh fish broiled in charcoal in the city. The houseboy would built a small bone fire in the backyard and roast the fish in a stick. It gets to the table that way as well which is part of the fun. We usually eat with our hands. Inspite our fun being with family on vacation the essence of the season is not lost for we visit the blessed sacrament, do way of the cross and attend other church activities. 

I am reminded of one Holy Week  when we lived in a city south of the country where my husband was assigned and where my son was born. Here, they really practice old traditions, and during the Maundy Thursday procession, affluent families dress up their antique statues of saints in elaborate robes to be part of the procession. This is really something to watch. 

In later years when our children were quite big, we usually spent a big part of the week at beach country clubs.  Here, we got to relax and bond with the children. We swam. We ate, read books and played games. 

When our children were old enough to appreciate travel we found ourselves one Easter Sunday having breakfast at MGM Grand in Las Vegas with my sister's family. My girls, including my 9-year-old nephew were thrilled to see an Easter bunny moving from one table to another giving away egg chocolates. That's where my daughters developed their love for egg chocolates and until now, they expect my sister to buy them some when she comes home  to visit. Once, she wasn't able to bring home some,
"They only come out during Easter", she said. 

I recall just recently, when were were grocery shopping, I noticed that my younger, newly married daughter had a pack of this in her grocery basket. 

While my family enjoy this break every year, we still observe the Holy Week worship. We still practice our Lenten sacrifice, we still observe fasting and abstinence.  

Speaking of Lenten sacrifice, I am really amazed with my nine-year-old granddaughter who gave up eating ice cream, her favorite; all throughout lent this year. 
"Why not give up ice tea?", her Mom asked, for she seldom drinks water unless forced;  "I can't",  she replied.  Ice cream is one of her favorites, it's what she usually asks for whenever she visits us.  When we ate out on her birthday recently,  the waiters brought out a semblance of a small cake, as they sang "happy birthday" to her. 

A small birthday candle on top of several scoops of ice cream was offered after our meal. She blew the candle, then pushed away the plate, " thank you, but I can't eat that now", she said politely. 

Last year, when she turned 8, they were on vacation in London and Paris during lent and guess what she gave up?  Buying toys, something she won't pass up during shopping at that time. I admire her restrain especially since they even went to Legoland.  This just shows how we can learn from children; in ways we oftentimes overlook or simply ignore. 

Hope you all have a pleasant Holy Week!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blogs. Although you're older than me it seems your memory is better than mine. I forgot that we spent one happy easter in Las Vegas

    ReplyDelete
  2. You arranged that we stay at MGM. Well, I don't remember everything but now that I'm focusing on memories and nit too preoccupied with work, I have the time to do that. Memories in our minds and hearts are treasures that last forever, material things are easily lost or forgotten and often because of circumstances you are forced to give them up. So, little sis, let's make more memories!

    ReplyDelete