Sunday 6 April 2014

Appreciating the Effort Of Others



Each morning upon waking up, I would turn on the electric kettle for my morning coffee. Today as I waited, I looked around the kitchen and what a sight to behold!  All the ingredients I'll cook for lunch were there ready and waiting for me.  What a wonderful feeling that was! 

Last night I told my maid that I was going to cook menudo (stewed pork cubes in tomato paste with green peas, carrots, potatoes and raisins). And for veggies, I intended to make fresh veggie spring rolls with chopped-peanut-and-sesame-seeds sauce. It's summer after all and we wanted something light, filling and healthy.  

My new maid prepared everything but she didn't slice the turnips, carrots and potatoes for the spring rolls, she knew I could julienne them in a jiffy because if she does it herself it will take a long time. The meat cubes for the stew has been boiled with choice spices to a perfect tenderness, just right to be sauteed.  

 I took my coffee with my mini to enjoy it in the living room. I found everything was shiny, not a spec of dust on the furniture as well as on the floor. With a sigh, I lounged deeper into the leather-smelling coach with cushions surrounding me; took a deep breathe and all I can say was "oh, this is the life! thank you, Lord".

After going through Facebook posts and reading my mail, I went back to the kitchen.  I looked into the saucepan where my rolled oats is usually cooked and I found that it was already done.

 I put the oats into my regular blue bowl with a small handle, added one sliced banana, cut three chunks of dried pineapple into bits with the kitchen scissors, a tablespoon of nonfat powdered milk and mixed it. In another bowl, I cut a slice of yellow-orange papaya into cubes and brought the two bowls to our bedroom.

 And another "ohhh!", our bed was made, the pillows flapped nicely and my night table was tidy. What a blessing! Can you imagine if I did all that? 

What a pleasant way to start the day! I am blessed. 

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your retirement. I just wish that we live close by so we can do a lot of stuff together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Among my life's dream is to have you nearby as well so we can share more of our lives together. But then again, as that is not the case, I'm still happy that we can communicate with no cost as often and as long as we like. Miss you, little sis.

    ReplyDelete