Friday 25 April 2014

Getting Older Is All About Family And Friends

Early this week, we went to a jolly party.  It was held at one of the leading bistros, housed in a popular hotel in town. The celebrant turned 70, so you can guess the age of the attending majority.  I was telling the two ladies at my table: "this party is made more exciting, because in children's parties, the games come first, in this one, the first part is dinner." They both agreed, old folks have dinner early. 

The celebrant, I'm calling Brad, (don't get too excited, he's not Brad Pitt, though maybe they have a similarity, just maybe...I guess it's their names) because I'm reluctant to mention his real name. I learned that he belongs to a big clan from a city south of the metro.  Folks in that place carry a distinct native accent but these guys were educated in universities in town so they don't speak that way.

 Before their presentation, one of the cousins said:
 "when we were invited to this party, there was one condition; we were asked to perform a number." 
They presented three songs, actually  (I heard they had even rehearsed);  they were very active and lively, oblivious of the hundred people watching them sing and dance; just like the siblings-and-their-spouses group who were just as uninhibited as the former group.  Most of the renditions carried the tune of popular songs,  adapted to suit their childhood memories growing up; with lots of happy, funny incidents retold through the lyrics. 

Not to be outdone, his wife's siblings sang as well, I guess, that was also the condition to merit an invitation, haha!  They were challenged by Brad's golf and tennis buddies who turned out to be quite shy afteall except the one leading the group who was exactly the opposite. 

Brad's only sister interviewed their Mom about his childhood; she retold one interesting incident that happened during the Japanese occupation. 

"One day as my Mom was walking home from church, carrying Brad who was about one or two years old at the time, a Japanese soldier came forward and snatched the boy", his sister started.....
"My mom was so scared as she followed the soldier up the stairs into a home and found a Japanese officer who had Brad on his lap.  Still fearful, my Mom did not speak and the Japanese officer said: 
'He looks so much like my son I left in Japan, who I miss so much', 
At that time, Brad's complexion must  resemble a Japanese boy".
 

Brad's 5-year-old granddaughter however, stole the show!  She sang "Let It Go" from the movie, Frozen, hitting all the high notes with her great voice, gaining a strong applause with a lot of ahhh's and ohhh's  from the audience. It was followed by a  duet of a Filipino ballad sang with her Mom who has an equally amazing voice. Wow! This family can carry a tune with so much enthusiasm, confidence and no inhibitions. I wondered, how someone who doesn't sing feel if married to anyone of them 
 
The climax was a surprise!  A message from Brad's daughter, who resides abroad came on the speakers while a picture of her and her husband was flashed on the screen. Brad was just standing near my husband's back at the time and maybe due to too much emotion he tried so much to control, he gripped my husband's shoulders as he listened.  I saw that he shed a tear or two when it was finally over.  It was a great message actually, and my husband recalled the part where the daughter thank him for the good things she took after him;  one of which is of being punctual, a trait that her husband appreciates. 

The cake came next and the candles were blown.   A surprise gift from his wife was presented with a request for him to open. It contained a toy gun that lighted up, producing a sound as he pulled the trigger.  "I've been wanting a toy gun like this since I was little but we couldn't afford it, now, at last, I got one".

The party was given as a surprise from his wife, but like any secret, the more people who knew about it, it does not stay a secret. "I'll sing for you tonight, grandpa", his granddaughter told him; "and there is a party", the 5-year-old continued. That's how he learned about it.  "What surprised me was there are a lot of people and to think that they closed this joint exclusively for my birthday!", Brad said

He thank everyone for coming,  "I never had a birthday party as big as this; ang dami palang nagmamahal sa akin ( I am loved by many))",  he said. He thanked the persons who made the party possible, primarily his sister-in-law and brother-in-law.
"Thank your wife", shouted the aggressive golf-tennis buddy. 
"You just wait, let's save the best for last", he patiently replied. 

Afterwards, when we started socializing again, we were entertained by a young band mimicking the Beatles.  There was dancing while others circulated, talking to friends and more picture taking. We sang along, we know the lyrics, that's our time, remember? 

Finally, like any good thing, it had to end. I was happy to bring home the party favor, a "loot bag" adorned with a stone.  Inside I found 5 golden almond-shape stones. I was at a loss what that might be or mean; maybe I'm missing something;  but I'm sure it is  significant to the celebrant. I was flattered to have been invited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment