Tuesday 25 March 2014

A Day With My Daughter




My Singapore series wouldn't be complete without this last one. It has been in draft form for two weeks now.  I thought I'd incorporate it with another topic but it didn't work. So here it is.....

One thing that made me very happy during my visit to Singapore was seeing my newly married daughter and her husband happily settled at their condo.

My son had an office-related appointment after work that night so  my daughter and her husband hosted our dinner.  After shopping that Thursday, my husband and I went back to my son's condo where we stayed during the visit; to rest before dinner.  Then I learned that my younger daughter took the afternoon off from work to shop for our dinner that night. Earlier in the week she already asked if we'd rather eat out or have dinner at their condo. "It doesn't matter", I said, "but if it is not a bother; it would be nice to bring laughter into your home.  I've always believed that laughter with family and friends will bring good vibes as well; so I would rather we had dinner there".

At half passed 3 pm, she messaged me that she was already home and asked; "so, would you like to have coffee first?".  My husband wasn't feeling well, I knew he would rather take a nap, in fact he was almost asleep. She messaged again: "there is so little time left", as they were leaving for London that early Saturday because she needed to be in Leeds that week for work.  I know she also wants to spend more time with us. So I messaged her back,  "I would be happy to have coffee with you, let's just come back for dad later". 

"Ok, please meet me at the back gate, I'm almost there." , she messaged again. I hurriedly dressed and was about to leave a note for my husband, but he turned so I knew he was awake and I told him, "we'll be back for you."

I grabbed the plastic pass card I borrowed from the maid to unlock the back gate together with my purse and took the elevator nine floors down. 

Minutes later, I found myself with my daughter at a cozy outside cafe near the botanical garden. We had coffee and salmon pizza with something sweet, an enormously large lemon meringue.  


I always love having coffee or lunch with this daughter. Being out in a cafe or restaurant;  oblivious to the crowd around us, I learned, was the best way to catch up with her.  I told her what's been happening back home;  things that sometimes couldn't be shared even on FaceTime. She also told me what's going on in her life, how she is coping as a newly married wife.  It warmed my heart to know that she is happy, cooks a lot;  enthusiastic to fix her home and excited to acquire conversation pieces for their home that are both decorative and functional.  She told me  about her plans;  the lastest about her work as well as the passions  she intends to pursue in the future. 

It was passed seven o'clock when we left the cafe, but it was still light so we walked through the small shops in the building before we headed to her condo.  She just requested her husband to get dad on his way home. 

Both my daughters are good cooks, I'd like to believe that I taught them well; but I observed that this one is very discriminate; I'd say that there's also a lot of self discipline going on there. For instance,  she tries to buy only veggies and fruits in season so they are relatively cheaper. Sometimes she would substitute ingredients, spices and herbs, already available at home rather than buy what is called for in the recipe. She does this very well; she has a good "gut taste" on what works.  I'd say that is versatile. 

Their condo is a cozy one-bedroom affair, the place is airy and bright;  it has plenty of windows with beautiful views, it being on the 9th floor.  It also smells "new". They furnished the "back bone" well with furniture they could use even when they can acquire a condo of their own. 

As she started preparing our dinner; I watched how she did it with ease; this daughter who just watched me prepared dinner at home is now so domesticated.  Oh, she used to bake a pastry or two then, when she felt like eating some but definitely not the dishes for dinner. 


My son-in-law offered us drinks, I had the strawberry-flavored iced tea which I enjoyed while my husband had ginger ale.  We had the drinks in the balcony . As i looked out into the night, I saw that there weren't many high rise in the close vicinity, thus extending the view far beyond. It was spectacular. 


As they continue furnishing their home, my daughter told me that they take their time purchasing only what is needed, they don't want to be stucked with something which will just be occupying space. In other words, they buy as they go. Like the canister for nuts that caught her fancy, she has been eyeing one but when she discussed it with her husband, they agreed that they will get it when they have some use for it. So, when I brought them peanuts cooked in salt and garlic from home, that was when they decided to get it. 


She easily put everything on the table; while we talked with her husband, watched the view and enjoyed our drinks.  Before I knew it, we were having soup. My husband liked the soup very much, while I liked the fried rice along with the breaded pork chop and seafood omelette, they call "crispy prawn pancake".  We had a sumptuous meal that we enjoyed immensely.

Once again, we had a wonderful time, we went back to my son's condo very happy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment