Wednesday 19 March 2014

Why Can't Life Be More Simple?



Why is our modern world seem more complicated. When I was young, life was so simple, snacks was boiled peanuts and plantain.  There were no different flavored chips. Of course we have chiffon and angel food cake because my mama bakes. Still, it was simple and we were happy. 

The advent of the computer and the internet is making our lives too fast-paced; I guess it had enhanced the facility for research as well because there are so many new things coming up.  But don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining, I'm just amazed how these things are coming about so fast. 

 Unlike in the mid-70's for instance, when my sister used to live near Clark Air Base and was privileged to buy from BX; she used to get my shampoo and conditioner. I only had to specify the brand and she would know.  

I wonder when these shampoos for different purposes came about; anti-hair fall, age defy, smooth and manageable, anti-dandruff, damage repair, anti-frizz, dry rescue and so on. Maybe for users, this is good but for a retailer like me, I have to invest more to be able to stock on all of them. 

What about soap, there's papaya, guava, menthol, eucalyptus, lemon, cologne splash, sulphur, antibacterial, etc.  For lotions, there's moisturizing, whitening, SPF 10, SPF 20 and so on.  With talcum powder I can count about five scents in just one brand, and believe me my fingers wouldn't be enough to count how many brands there are and I'm just talking of the ordinary, affordable brands, high end ones not included. I can say the same with ordinary colognes, different scents, different packing from 25 ml, 50, 75, to 125 ml. Even babies have choices now on oil and lotion because there is calming, bedtime, with milk, harmony and others.  Actually this list is endless, really!  

Now let's talk coffee.  When I was a child, there was only one plain coffee I knew in the form of beans or powdered instant coffee. Then came decaf, but still just plain coffee where you add milk and sugar.   Nowadays however,  would you believe that instant 3 in 1 coffee comes in different flavors too?  There's original, white,  brown and creamy, choco latte , creamy latte, cappuccino, etc. 

For instant powdered juices and flavored tea, there are as many flavors as there are so many fruits available. 

Now I recall  a typical conversation that happens when we dine in restaurants. Let's start with a basic salad and the waiter will ask:  "what dressing please? Blues cheese? honey mustard? ranch? Thousand island?, vinegrette?",  and we give our preference. "this goes with bread", the waiter asks again: "white bread, whole wheat? Sour dough?", and we say, "wheat".  " toasted or not?" , he continues. 

Then the steak, " porter house? T- bone?  New York cut? Ala-pobre? Filet mignon? And we choose again.  " how do you want it? Rare, medium? medium-well? Well done?".

Finally we order drinks, and if we say "just water", he will ask again: " Perrier? San Pellegrino, or just tap? Sparkling and unflavored?  Or lemon, lime, grapefruit?"   Should you like soda, then he will ask again: "coke, Pepsi, royal or 7up or sprite?"   If you like coke the he continues, "regular, zero, light"?

Is it really this hard to order food nowadays. Oh yes, I've not even mentioned potatoes: fries, wedges, baked or mashed?  This becomes more complicated if you order in another country where you're not used to their accent.  And for senior citizens who are a little bit hard of hearing, I'm sure they have a difficult time; and for them, it's even taxing to read the menu. 

No wonder, I always hear or read "back to basics".  Everything in their original form, untouched and unadulterated. Isn't that really more simple?

Yet, I know that we can't go back, we just have to move forward. 






--

No comments:

Post a Comment