Monday 3 March 2014

Going To Singapore


I didn't realize that there are many things that make me happy.  It's funny when I think about it;  if you're on the look out, you will be surprised to find that really, there are lots of things, events and even people that can make you happy. This trip however is the prime reason I'm happy today. 

As our journey started, my husband chose to take a cab from a reliable cab service instead of getting our part-time driver to bring us to the airport.  As I approached the cab, I was surprised to see that the driver was not properly dressed; we use their services often and the drivers always looked very proper.  Though he was in uniform, his shirt was not buttoned; his collar askew; his sleeve crumpled; definitely not professional looking.  But when he greeted me "good morning" in his respectful and pleasant  voice, I forgot all about his looks and I readily answered back "good morning" as well.

While on the road, I noticed a very tiny plastic yellow duck with a red beak on the dash board;  it's about two inches; like those that babies play with in the bathtub. Because of my fondness for ducks, this brightened my morning immediately.  I asked whether it's his daughter's or son's but he said that the former cab driver found it in the cab and decided to glue it on the dashboard. Here, take a look. 




While waiting for our flight, I had a quiet time at a food booth at the airport reading magazines while I ate my smoked salmon-cream cheese panini with chips along with cafe latte for brunch. I regret not taking a picture; the panini was not only crunchy and the salmon delicious, it got some crunchy greens as well and it looked good. 

Whenever we go to Singapore, we always look forward with happy anticipation.  Singapore being the most metropolitan city in Asia; and the most expensive city in the world according to the latest survey; Tokyo is just no. 5;  is never boring.  As we go back twice a year, there are always new places to go to and new things to see.  Like Paris, London and New York, it is also the venue for fashion week in Asia. 

We've tried almost all the airlines going to Singapore because of our frequent trips, oftentimes even quarterly. If you have never experienced taking the budget airlines however;  you will find the price affordable, but of course, it should live up to its name, "budget". You only pay for the weight of your luggage, if you only bring your carry on with a maximum weight of seven kilos, then no extra payment required; if you want food, you buy, so there is no built-in charge. The conveniences of web check-in and printing your boarding pass a few hour before the flight is also a practice. 

People who are used to the high-end airlines may find it too hassled; just putting stuff in the over-head bin seemed like a race; if you are slow your things will have no place since some passengers bring a lot of stuff; making the bins bulging and almost bursting, figuratively speaking. There is a lot of chatting going on especially if you happen on a flight with a group who work abroad. They even share food across the isle and there is that never-ending exchange of experiences working abroad. 

 If you look at the brighter side of it though,  it could be fun as well. After food and drinks were sold, served and consumed; a crew member said that "the flight won't seem complete without the on-flight games" where the passengers participate. A crew member sung and the first one who guessed the title right  as in " name that tune" got the airline souvenir item.  Another game is "show me" or "bring me", as in kids' birthday parties, and again, the first who presented the requested item got another souvenir. 

I won this pouch when I was able to show my senior card that was requested in "show me".

Arriving in Singapore, I felt so much lighter, my surroundings definitely brighter, the air-conditioning a notch cooler and my breathing easier. One friend even said that their group were coughing  before they left their Asian country, but when they got to Singapore, their cough stopped. A miracle? I don't think so, the air they breathe here is definitely cleaner. 

While we lined up at immigration, I texted my son that we arrived and he texted back that he is already waiting near the conveyor. 



And the airport? If you take time to go around the huge, very modern Changi Airport, you can see miniature replicas of their tourists spots, like the "gardens by the bay".  There is a profusion of plants and flower arrangements all over the establishment, not to mention the convenient amenities to be enjoyed while waiting for a flight. 

But what is so special arriving here is the comforting presence of loving good company; and the absence of stress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment