Wednesday 7 August 2024

MERRY OLDIE: THE SWEET MANOLIAS’ HOKA CRAZE


Cheska introduced Hoka to the Sweet Magnolias; (a name we call our group). Her friend in Singapore enticed her to get one. Fortunately, her husband was in Singapore at the time so he brought it home. She liked it so much that she went to the Hoka store at Ayala Mall while it was on introductory promo. 


When Tess learned about it, she immediately went to Ayala Malls and initially got 2 pairs, then she went right back for more. 

Not to be outdone, Carol and Claire also went to the store and came home with two pairs each. Dolly was teasing Carol having a Hoka addiction for she kept on buying, now she has 6 pairs. 

What about the rest of the group? Well, my daughter got me my first Hoka. I arrived in Singapore in April last year and my orange rincon was waiting for me, to my extreme delight. Since we were already there Jim urged me to buy. another pair and I did. 

Upon learning about this, my children were laughing they said that “there is also peer pressure among adults”. I didn’t mind them for I knew that they were just happy for me. 

But my husband is indulgent; when we got back home, he ordered two more pairs for me, the Bondi 8 and the Clifton 9 were great choices. So far, these two models are my favorites because of their comfort, cushion and stability. But the Rincon is also good because it is the lightest of the Hokas. 

Juliet was lucky for her sister in the US sent her 2 pairs, then her daughter also in the US sent her a pair as well. Upon hearing this, het family went to the store one shopping weekend and the family bought 8 pairs that made Juliet’s Hokas 4. Her sister asked if she wants more and she said, enough already. 

Celine has a lot of rubber shoes but she was not immune to the pressure as well that she bought a couple of pairs. Today, Joy just got back from Japan where her daughter bought her a Clifton 9 and a rincon 3. 

Neither Dolly nor Mel are immune, or maybe they just wanted to show that they are one with the group so they bought a pair each. 


But “Tess has the mostest”. I really lost count; a dozen maybe or even more. She earlier joined two KLM marathons in the Netherlands and in both, she wore Hoka


Soon after Tess gave away all her other shoes since she only wants to wear hoka, except an Asics because it was pink and she is comfortable in it. 


Her friend in Rotterdam who also got hooked with Hoka started ordering online but was hiding it from her husband who may think it was too much. She made sure she was home when the items arrived.

 Her fourth pair arrived when Tess’ friend was out. Upon getting home, her husband handed her the packaged and said: “here’s your 4th hoka”. See, no matter how much we hide, husbands are not fools to know what’s going on, but I guess they are tolerant because they love us and want us to be happy. “ Happy wife, happy life”, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment