Sunday 23 February 2014

Sunday Is My Market Day

This Little Piggy
   By mother goose
"This little piggy went to market,

This little piggy stayed home,

This little piggy had roast beef,

This little piggy had none.

This little piggy went ...

Wee, wee, wee,
all the way home!"
Source: Head Shoulders Knees and Toes and Other Action Rhymes (2002)

Sunday is my market day.  When I was employed, I market on a Saturday but there were so many people at the wet market near our place; it was hard to get what you want and there's a long queue at the fish and meat vendors, and  if I don't go early enough, they run out on the choice cuts of meat and the fish that I like. 

So, I changed my schedule and today, Sunday, I woke up early hoping to get a good parking slot, true enough, I was able to park right in front of my fruit vendor. 

My first stop was at the seafood vendor and I was able to get the seafoods I need: squid, shrimps, asojos, lapulapu (grouper),  oysters and scollops (both removed from their shells).


I will cook sinigang, (fish soup) with tomatoes, tamarind bouillon to give it a slightly sour taste; native leafy veggies will go in as well.


I cut the squid into rings, marinated with kalamansi juice, salt, pepper and wine; for my granddaughter's calamari this week; she is expecting this every week when she visits.   "That's your specialty, Nana", she says. 


I opened up and de-boned the asojos and marinated them will wine, salt and pepper, they are good for my husband's  breakfast any day.


 I steamed the shrimps for my husband's breakfast.  (he will eat it with fresh tomatoes and shrimp paste).


 I will reserve the scallops to stir fry tomorrow with some veggies as well; 

And the oysters?  They will swim in vinegar, chopped onions, ginger, and ground pepper; that is our appetizer for lunch today. 

I boiled the chunks of pork belly with spices for lechon kawali (deep fried pork belly);  while the pork belly slices will be marinated with some spices, wine and vinegar, this will keep in the refrigerator for 10 days, longer at the freezer.  It will be convenient to grill a few pieces when we feel like. 
  

The pork tenderloin, I cut into medallions and mixed into the Filipino barbecue marinade I made. Sometime this week I will grill them. This will go well with another veggie dish. 


, I divided the beef (that's almost two kilos) ; two-thirds will be for beef stew and one-third for beef steak with a lot of onion rings on the side. 


I only got these fruits, I prefer to get the others from the supermarket where there is a good variety to choose from.


For every meal, there is always a veggie dish, maybe what I got is enough, if not, there's always that vendor at the corner who has them fresh daily. 


That's it!  Guess I have enough to last me until next weekend.  I'm thinking that my husband often like to eat out at the spur of the moment anyway, so I may even have extras this week. 

“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.” 
― Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own
tags: food, love 1208 likes like

No comments:

Post a Comment