Tuesday 11 February 2014

What's A Day In My Life?


I always welcome a new day! It gives me another 24 hours to enjoy life; another opportunity to bond with family, do a good deed and continue to pursue things that I have started. 


“When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully. "It's the same thing," he said.” 
― A.A. Milne


What's my typical day?

I always start with a little prayer of thanks that I'm still alive, that I can see, I can feel, I can walk and I can still dream. A good cup of coffee, decaf with nonfat milk is the first order of the day. Then I check out what my husband is up to, (he's always up ahead of me),  I would usually find him tending to his plants (he is in his best mood in the morning, that's probably the reason why his plants thrive well); polishing his golf clubs, cleaning his car or sun gazing. Yes, sun gazing for more energy and rejuvenation. 

My older daughter then calls, "hi mom, how are you? What's news?", to which I would reply: "nothing happened yet since we talked last",  "And what about next door, my cousins, anything new?". Then I would recall, "oh yes, One gave me our favorite native cake from Cavite yesterday"; "Another sent us macadamia chocolates from Hawaii",  I say.  " And, dad? What's he up to?".  "the same, he's tending to his plants". "You know..." She would then continue and  tell me the latest on her end, mostly about my granddaughter. This conversation goes on daily, sometimes twice a day, but I look forward to it since it assures me that everything is fine; it also gives my day a good boost. 

Breakfast follows, my usual rolled oats with banana slices and dried fruit bits, whatever is available though it's always a choice of raisins, dried cranberries, apricots, dates, pineapple or mango; mixed in with a tablespoon of nonfat milk. 

As I open Facebook, I see a message from my sister in the US, (we are on reverse time, nighttime for her), she wants to FaceTime and I type "ok" and she calls me.  We catch up on things, then she needs to work on-line and we say goodbye. 

I check if my maid prepared the veggies and ingredients I will cook, and whether she brought out the meat or fish from the freezer to thaw.  After my shower, I'm off to my convenient store and my workday starts. 

After lunch is my downtime, I read a book, write my blog, check and answer emails, read the latest posts on Facebook where I catch up with relatives and friends here and abroad; then I take a nap. (A must in our family).  Afternoon snacks with my husband is usually coffee with a sandwich or pasta. 

My favorite time is walking with my husband for an hour. This is what we do together, aside from taking our meals. This is when I get inspiration for my blog. I don't know about others but as I walk, I guess my mind starts moving as well; ideas pop in my mind, sentences come one after another that oftentimes, I have to take notes on my iPhone, otherwise I forget details as more ideas evolve. 

The walk is followed by a drink, my husband would read the newspaper where he finds the same news, having seen and heard them on tv earlier. I browse through a magazine and enjoy my green tea frap. 

After dinner, I catch up on paperwork for my store and if my son is at his home base, he would call to check on us, or if he needs to tell us something. I give the remote to my husband and I open the extension, typical parents getting a call from a child who lives far from home.  His call will give us something to talk about afterwards. 

As I open my iPad before bedtime, my younger daughter who lives abroad sent an iMessage probably sharing what new recipe she prepared for dinner that day or tell me about the new kitchen gadget she bought (she is so discriminate in buying for her condo, she doesn't want clutter) and I respond.  She will then message again and we get to chat about our latest. 

While the early morning call from my other daughter gives me a good boost, this chat concludes my day with a wonderful note!  Again, it reassures me that everything is fine in my world. 

Getting in touch with family whether personal or otherwise is the highlight of my day, it really gives me so much joy, making my life worth living. 



No comments:

Post a Comment