Friday 21 February 2014

I Love Ducks



Here I go again, saying that my collection started as a gift. But it's true.  It was my office assistant who gave me a wooden duck for my birthday.  We were just talking about fixtures to decorate the house and I happened to mention that I like ducks, truly, I do.  

Then one day, she presented this duck to me, my first ever!  


"My husband bought this during his business trip, it's from both of us, happy birthday!":  she told me,  and I was so thrilled to have it. 

I can't explain my fondness for ducks, 

Maybe because I love country stlye in decorating the house, and ducks are often included.

Or because one of the bedtime stories I remember as a child is "The Ugly Duckling" , oh, I was sad about the duckling then, but when my mama came to the part where he blossomed into a beautiful swan, I always felt good and had a good night's sleep.

The ugly duckling



And ducks seem so gentle and tame, at least that's what I thought, not until I saw a movie where a duck defended his master along with his friend, a dog. So ducks are loyal too!

So I'm sure you would understand why I love this movie: 



My collection increased when I started buying wooden ducks one after another; I got a pair from a Christmas bazaar, another pair in an open market.  I remember I got some from my friends at the office, and the rest, I must have bought them as well. 

Except these flying ducks on the wall.  There used to be four but after I retired, I brought them home and my husband hung then on the wall outside our bedroom where we can see them often.  Here's  how I got them: 


As I entered my office on one birthday morning, I saw four flying wooden ducks hanging on the four walls with a note from each giver; the names of my staff:  Virgie, Joanne, Millet and Helen were on each of them.  Oh, what a pleasant surprise that was!  What touched me was their trouble getting them for me, their thoughtfulness was what mattered most. I can't thank them enough for the joy  getting this gift.

Today, I'm just sorry that I lost one, (due to old age, hahaha!). They weathered the sun and rain. I want to replace it so I'm always on the look out for something similar during bazaars but until now, I could not find any. 

My collection are just around the house. 


I placed the duck set for nuts and chips receptacles (given by my daughter-in-law one Christmas when she asked my son what I'm fond of and he said, "ducks") on one coffee table and joined by a celadon duck placed atop a book of Bill Clinton.

Some I placed on this dividing shelf and the ladder:



And on a wall perpendicular to the shelf as well as on the other end of this wall.




I want to put this collection together but until now I haven't figured out how to do it.  I once tried to line them up on a ledge and my husband joked that "they are like soldiers there", so until then, I guess I'll just move them around as I please. I really don't mind anyway, they're my " toys".


No comments:

Post a Comment