Sunday 26 November 2023

WHAT IS A GRAB BAR?

​How many people know what a grab bar is? I didn’t even know what to call it when we got to the Home Depot until I described it and we were directed to where we could get it. 


A grab bar is a safety device to enable a person to maintain balance; something attached to the wall of a bathroom that we can hold on for dear life to prevent a slip or fall. 


Today we had our grab bar installed in our bathroom. When I told Jim that I needed one, he didn’t hesitate, in fact that very day we bought one ASAP. 


No more denying the fact that the time is right to get it. Though we use a stool, it is when we stand under the shower to wash away the soap that is tricky. 


Many a time we hear about bathroom accidents and we ask: “was it a stroke that caused the fall or a hard fall that caused the heart attack?”  


Most often we are still in denial, so we say: “oh, I don’t need it, I’m okay, I can manage”. But isn’t it better to be safe than sorry? 


So we chose to be safe. Now I feel more secure when taking a shower. 


No comments:

Post a Comment