Tuesday 21 November 2023

MY BURGUNDY RUBBER PLANT

​Last week i was so happy just looking at my burgundy rubber plant; so amazed how fast it is growing. That and the lemon yellow one were given to me by a friend and walking buddy, Josie. 


I took a photo and sent it to my daughter.  We planned for her to trim it when she visits this Christmas. 



The plant in a pot stands on two blocks of brick . When I looked underneath I found that the roots grew into the ground; one was already an inch in diameter. So I asked my assistant to cut the roots. 


To my dismay, after an hour, the three major branches drooped, as if they were lonely, the leaves near the tips started to wilt. I was worried that the plant would die. 


I was tempted to cut off the top of the biggest branch to lessen the demand for food and sustenance and give the whole plant a better chance to recover 


Again, I took photos to send to my daughter about my plan to cut about 18 inches from the top. But my daughter said to let the plant adjust. So I added more soil to the pot and watered it three times that day. 



I pinched and pulled holding the pinch until I reach the tips, the red tip part that eventually becomes another leaf. I did that more often than I used to and kept telling the plant to hung on for dear life. See the arrow pointing to the tip that I usually pinch and pull upwards?  This works specially when the tips are still small  

The next day the plant looked better, the tips started t strengthen a bit and I became hopeful. Still it was not like it was before. 

After my walk the second day, lo and behold! They went back to their former glory. Every tip pointing upwards and the leaves stood straight like they were earlier. 



I’d like to share this to my fellow plantitas so they can observe their rubber plants. We all know that rubber plants can become enormously big that’s why we put them in pots to control their growth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment