Wednesday 22 November 2023

CRISPY SHRIMPS WITH SHRIMP PASTE-COCONUT DIP/DRESSING

​Today I made this dish I saw on TV, on Casa Daza specifically. I thought it is something that my family would like. 



Here is the recipe of Sandy Daza that I’m trying to duplicate. I just hope I will be able to do justice to his recipe. 

                 INGREDIENTS

1/2 kilo jumbo shrimps, deveined and peeled leaving the tail intact. 

1 egg white 

1 cup corn starch seasoned with 

1 tsp ground pepper and 1 tsp salt 

Oil to deep fry shrimps 


                   

For sauce 

1-2 tbsps oil

1 tbsp cooking wine 

2 tbsps minced garlic 

2 tbsps chopped onions 

1 tbsp shrimp paste   (alamang)

1 tbsp sesame oil 

1 1/2 cups coconut milk. 

                  Procedure 

Soak shrimps in egg white

Coat shrimps in seasoned cornstarch 

Deep fry shrimps, putting them one at a time to the boiling oil. Don’t dump all the shrimps at the same time. Fry until crispy. 

When done, remove shrimps from oil and put them on a wire rack to maintain crispness. 



In another sauce pan 

Put oil, garlic, onions and cook awhile 

Add shrimp paste, cooking wine and sesame oil, mix well

Pour in coconut milk. I used 2 tbsps coconut powder dissolved in 1 cup water. 

Sandy put in all the crispy shrimps into the sauce to coat and plated it with the suggestion that it is also good to separate the sauce for dipping. 

I did both ways today; notice that in the photo the other half doesn’t look crispy because I coated them with sauce. Jim and I liked it better just to dip. 

This dish can be an appetizer or a dish served with soup and salad and you have a complete meal. Like Sandy always say:  “winner ito”.  


No comments:

Post a Comment