Saturday 6 May 2023

LEAVE A LEGACY, WRITE YOUR LIFE STORY

​When we die, our life ends and we become just a memory; was the gist of James R. Hagerty’s article in the Wall Street Journal, December 26, 2022  

“The way you tell your life story matters. Start now”; is the title. 


I was not able to read the entire article except the first two paragraphs.  I saved the link to read later.  Clicking the link again, I discovered that I couldn’t open unless I subscribe to the magazine. I didn’t do that but I got his drift; hence this blog. 


In so many words, he wrote that our life is erased after we die. Our remaining material assets: money and real estate are arranged but not our life story. 


If we want to be remembered and not fade into oblivion, we should write our life story; no one can tell it better than ourselves. 


In this age and time there are numerous ways to come up with a memoir. 


1- make a photo album relating unforgettable memories and describe incidents as shown in the photos.  For instance there’s that photo of you holding a big fish you caught while fishing with your son. Did you feel like a hero? Were you proud that your son admired you? What more happened that day? 


2- write a narrative on events in your life, include highlights, incidents that will interest others; achievements that the succeeding generations can look up too and idolize. Wouldn’t it be great if your grandchildren will emulate your good deeds? 


3- write letters to people dear to you, your spouse, your children, your grandchildren; good friends and relatives. Relate how you enjoyed being with  them or apologize if you offended them. 


4- start a blog and document life experiences you enjoyed with friends or family. Revisit how your encounter with someone have enriched both your lives. 


5- make a recipe book. Put everything that’s on your cooking repertoire. 


I am doing one now. My younger daughter handed me a blank journal when we were visiting in April.  This is where  I will write my recipes for her. All those that I  prepared through the years when they were growing up. Brilliant idea, isn’t it? It couldn’t get more personal than that. 


About four years ago my eyesight failed and I was seeing things double; my blood pressure shoot up and I was catching my breath, I underwent a lot of tests. 


My younger daughter was so worried and sympathetic.  She told me to write my journey towards my healing and gift her that journal afterwards   Well, I did cover some pages.  The good thing was I overcame those health issues sooner and the journey ended but no journal was completed. 


Sometime last year when I was into crocheting again, she asked me to crochet a tote bag for her. Somehow the bag didn’t turn out the way we expected. 


So when she gave me the journal for the recipes, I realized that maybe she wants a part of me that she can hold on to when I’m gone.  So I am determined to make it good and finish this asap   


Leaving something of yourself is tantamount to “writing” your life story; a way to be remembered.  I wonder what more about myself I can give my younger daughter?  Perhaps  I’ll come up with similar things for my son and older daughter too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment