Monday 18 July 2016

Facelift Or Mind Lift, Which One At 71?



Since I turned 50, I have been constantly reading and learning  aging experiences and elderly views.  The very first book I read was a gift from my assistant on my 50th birthday: 
Reflections on Midlife, subtitled: 
"Are you too young to read this book?"

Preoccupied with work and taking care of family earlier, I must have forgotten myself for awhile there that this awareness came too late for me.  Anyways,  I'm not that obsessed with looks, I just want to appear presentable and thoroughly cleaned up.   If I were more conscious, could I have delayed my physical aging? I wonder. 



From books, blogs and articles on aging, many say that 30 is a dreaded age because that's when looks gradually start to fade.  They compare the ages 21 and 40 and claim that these two stages even out.  While one still possesses that innocent look, the fresh and wrinkle-free face coupled with tireless energy; at age 40, still young-looking enough but matured, the change is already obvious on the face and the entire body,  but easily passable; yet the wisdom and experience gained outweigh the physical beauty.  Yes, at age 40, most parts of the body start going down, really!  Someone even said of herself, "Why, it used to be a well-shaped butt, but not anymore!". 

Yay! I am not 40 anymore but I'll take my body anytime!  With thanks! It's also the only body I've got and yes, it's still a healthy body; no maintenance medicine whatsoever, just vitamins.  I had my laboratory tests recently and my doctor said that anything high there could be managed with the proper diet. 

As I start the second year of my eighth decade this week, I look at it with great possibilities and I know no boundaries.  But let me tell you, any attempt to make myself look younger is not one of them.  I'd rather look forward to another year full of love, adventure and purpose.  It is really a precious privilege to be alive, I am happy to live to this day, a blessing not enjoyed by many. 

In this modern age when most of the entire world are obsessed with anti-aging creams, liposuction, enhancement,  botox and facelift,  I'd rather put my money on mind lift.  And why not?  Aging is beyond our control no matter what we do to camouflage it; but the mind on the other hand is continuously growing and will flourish to a certain age as long as we work the brain to keep it going. 



 I have a fairly good attitude about aging, but sometimes, when I look at the mirror, I am often confronted by the question, 
"where had the years gone?"; but when sense dawns, I accept the inevitable; the craw lines around the eyes, the wrinkles, the thinning gray-to-white hair, the arms looking like crepe paper and the folds on the neck.  But I say that looks aren't everything. 

On the flip side, I am proud of my wisdom and the experiences I gained through the years, something I wish I had at 21.  If I had those, could I have made better choices that made a difference in my life today, like a fuller life perhaps?    Nevertheless, I do not despair, there is still time, right?   And who says there is a limit to achieve our goals at an advanced age?  

I am happy though with what I am and with what I have.  I love the life that I found at 71.   My time-rich life after decluttering and living a simple life allows me to indulge more on my passions and pay more attention to my family. 



It's so easy to get lost in this digital-age jungle; where we could miss the chance from having a meaningful, happy and abundant life if we don't watch what we're doing.   Nowadays we are frequently barraged with new things, new ideas and discoveries that eat our time and attention that often distract us from what really matters.  It's a good thing though that I know what I want and what to do for the remainder of my life. 




No comments:

Post a Comment