Thursday 7 July 2016

Do You Know How To Be Happy?



Why is happiness so elusive?  Why can't we be happy all the time?  But if we are, we can't appreciate happiness, right?  Too many of us are unhappy; some even go to the extent of traveling far and wide looking for it.   Others shop endlessly or hang out often in bars to dull boredom and hope to fine happiness there. 

On the flip side some of us are afraid to be happy that we tone it down when we are for fear that something may go wrong.  I grew up around a lot of aunts and grand aunts who believed in this myth;  
"Don't be too happy", they said  "something bad may happen".  Haven't we heard that from our old folks back then?

In recent years when I had more time to reflect,  I realized that I am truly happy.  Happy like what experts say is sustainable; meaning, I'm not only happy in good times being with family or friends but that feeling of well-being persists even when I'm alone;  and the same sustains me through rough times as well.  Here's my formula and by sharing it, I hope it can also work for you. 

First and foremost, I always live in the present; in-the-here-and-now.  I  find joy in what the moment brings; I enjoy every minute without worrying so much of the past and not apprehensive about the future.  

Experts say that we must have a  purpose in life, but how are we to know that?   How about we look deep into our hearts and minds what exactly we love doing?  Where do we excel? What are our God-given gifts?  Whatever they are, we should be doing just that.  Aren't we happy whenever we like what we do?

When I was working, I was so preoccupied with work and during weekends when I wasn't working I did personal errands, kept the home wholesome, cooked and bonded with family that recognizing my passions also eluded me.  But when I retired and I had more time to reflect, I realized that I've been doing exactly what I like doing all along.  Fortunately for me, I discovered my passions and now I live my dream no matter how simple it maybe to others.  Though my bucket list has not been totally fulfilled, I  can't ask for more. 

I love selling things and I'm so grateful that Jim supported me in this endeavor; he helped me put up the convenience store.  Even when It was making what he calls just "coffee money", he never discouraged me, instead he helped me make the business work.  Now that we are both retired I'm  glad we never gave it up, it is something to do and I find it a good venue to put my management skills to work. 

I love to write and when my Facebook postings became lengthy; my younger daughter noticed,  she said they are better in a blog; so she opened my blog account.  Now I have a venue for self expression and to share my work.   My adrenaline flows when a new topic hits me and I get excited developing it.  While I enjoy writing and publishing my blog, good feedback is just a bonus, but the writing is the real fun. 

Gardening is another passion that I got from my Papa who love to garden, maybe it's also in my genes.  I find it a blessing that Jim also loves to garden.  This is a hobby we both share and enjoy,  it helps me unwind and get me grounded, literally and figuratively.  Now, I even started selling plants making  "just enough for coffee".  Our backyard edible garden is our pride and joy, it puts veggies on the  table.  Besides, it gives us a lot of talking points as well. 

"Do you know that the bird with the long tail is chasing away the butterflies?".  Jim said about the bird that frequents our garden.  I found that an  interesting observation.   You see this is a bit of a concern to us since we've been wondering why our plants bear a lot of flowers but yield  minimal fruits.  That's when he said that we need the butterflies. 
"What can we do about it?" I said, "we just have to let nature take its course".   See?, trivial, maybe, but interesting!  I love topics like that, it gives flavor to an otherwise ordinary morning, a simple pleasure, really!

Happiness is a state of the mind; experts say that to be happy is a choice and it depends a lot on how we perceive things and events.  We are advised to be careful with our thoughts from the moment we wake up in the morning, we should choose wisely;. do we want to be enthusiastic about what the new day brings?  If so, we should make a conscious choice so we can live a happy and meaningful life. 

Our happiness should not be dependent on others; that's why to seek popularity is putting our happiness at risk because chances are that we would be disappointed.   How many people feel depressed because they don't get the popularity they think they deserve.

Experts further say that our happiness should not be dependent on external things; otherwise we can never be content with what we have.  We will always want more; a bigger house, the best car, the latest gadget, more clothes, jewelry, where will it end?  Kathy Gottberg, in one of her Smart Living blogs wrote that "once our basic needs are met, money or more of anything won't make a difference".   That is why simple living works for many because they feel they have enough. 

What about you, have you found your purpose?  Come on, let's chase our dreams and follow our passions; a true way to be happy.  After all what's said and done, happiness is from within and  it's really up to us if we want to be happy or not. 

Let me end this by quoting a prayerful friend, Nina who asks: 
" What is true happiness, is it in between too much and too little?  Is it just wealth to meet our needs or just poverty to learn to work harder?  More blessings to know that God loves us or loads of problems so we don't forget Him?".

No comments:

Post a Comment