Thursday 24 September 2015

Dinner From A Food Truck



I made a post on Facebook about our Sunday early dinner from a food truck two weeks ago and I thought that was the end of it.   While I anticipated many likes, I was surprised that it drew many opinions as well that tickled my interest to make a blog out of it. 

That afternoon, my husband asked me to go to a supermarket and check out what's being offered for afternoon snacks.  I had no idea what he had in mind but I just went along.  I realized early on that maybe he didn't know what he wanted to eat as well, otherwise he would have brought me to one of the restaurants in the neighborhood. Usually the supermarkets have food booths at the entrance and when my husband looked around, most llikely he has not found what he was looking for. 

Inside the supermarket, we bought chips, to eat with our homemade salsa.  I thought that the  chips did not seem appealing enough after all. As we derived back home, he said: 
"let's check out the food trucks".

There were a variety of enticing food:  porchetta, BBQ, chicken wings and bagnet (deep fried pork belly); there were even an assortment of rice toppings.  There's also finger foods like cheese and fish sticks, chicken fingers, fries, sausages, etc..  We chose the beef and lamb shawarma in pita bread.  It was nice, the wrap was soft, the meat tender and the trimmings fresh.  It was a good dinner for me. 

I made a post on Facebook afterwards and got several likes, most comments were telling of their experiences buying from a food truck,  some of them expressed their intention to try it sometime.   My sister in Florida comented:
"That's what we call 'coach, coast' here".   
One good friend and a relative as well however was surprised that I wanted to buy from a food truck;  she must have thought that it's like buying from street vendors.  She wondered too why I want to get my dinner from there. 
"I can't imagine you eating from a food truck", she commented. 
"why not?", I replied.   "The food is good, they are recipes concocted by professional chefs who must have tested public acceptability".   I knew this relative from childhood we went our separate ways later. We just re-connected with her on Facebook, so I said further:
"I believe we don't know each other as adults, i must tell you that I'm not a snob and I like ordinary things and enjoy simple pleasures". 

Back to the food truck: 

We learned that there are several places to catch theses food trucks in town and the one nearest us is relatively new.  We observed that the atmosphere is informal but the crowd was decent, a good place to bring the family; in fact most of the crowd were families. 

"Check out if there's anything our granddaughter would like here so we can bring her over on the weekend", my husband said. 





I went around and I ended up taking pictures of the food trucks so I'll remember what to tell our granddaughter.  The other outlets were not trucks though, they had tents.

There were a lot of offerings our granddaughter would love; the chicken fingers, fish sticks and potato wedges with dips as well as the pasta. She will also like the tacos and the wraps. 

Unfortunately, it has been raining regularly in the afternoons and early evenings that the food trucks have not opened for business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment