Sunday 13 September 2015

Chasing Daylight



It has been raining intermittently at odd hours for the past week, most often in the late afternoons that I couldn't do my daily walk.  Yesterday, the rain was on and off that I almost gave up walking; however thirty minutes passed my walking time, it stopped raining.  I hurriedly put on my walking shoes, snatched my umbrella and off I walked. 

Though the neighborhood is safe, I still did not want to be out in the streets alone after dark.  I accelerated my pace so I could cover more ground.  There were dark clouds that threatened to fall and they covered the sun. 

As it was almost dusk, I saw houses had lit their porch lights giving me a welcome feeling as it seemed to beckon me in.  Some homes were dark though and I presumed the owners were still out, enjoying the weekend. 

I walked on a more familiar neighborhood this time and while some homes hadn't turned on the outdoor lights, I see their kitchen lit, obviously, they were preparing dinner.  I even smelled some of their cooking that made my mouth water and I felt hungry. 

I didn't see people outdoors or someone tending the garden, as is usually the case on weekends. "Its late",  I told myself, "besides rain may fall anytime".  But I enjoyed taking in the fresh air and the familiar smell of the outdoors (especially under the trees) after the rain and it brought back childhood memories.   I recalled how happy I felt going out of the house to play after the rain, when everything was fresh, the rain having washed away the dust from the air. 

I did not complete my routine yesterday, nevertheless, I developed a sweat and I felt good, it was still early after dinner but I couldn't keep my eyes open, so I turned in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment