Monday 28 September 2015

My Ginger Patch: A Part Of Our Edible Backyard Garden

Do you know that ginger is not cheap?  I think it is understandable since I learned that it would take 8-10 months or even a year before it can generate a good harvest.

I've been trying to grow ginger for the longest time because it is an essential ingredient in cooking.   We also boil it in water and drink the juice when we have sore throat, cough or colds and has proven worth the trouble in most instances. 

I like the luxury of just plucking a piece of ginger root from the garden whenever I miss buying it from the market.  It frustrates me to find that I run out of supply when I need it most.  That's why I've been planting ginger in pots in like forever with minimal success.  The leaves grow tall but when I pull it out, the roots are only as big as my thumb. 

That was before I read The Rainforest Garden blog of Steve Asbell "how to grow ginger from root bought at the supermarket" 


This is my ginger patch. Honestly, this is an instant patch. Why?


Well, I had this pot of ginger all along which I planted several months back.


Notice that the roots did not grow big because it was cramped in that tiny pot and something must be wrong with the soil as well.


Then I had these roots which I just pushed into a pot of soil two weeks ago and green tips came about. 

I transplanted all these on my plot and voila! Instant ginger patch. 

But I had to go through the process of preparing the plot properly according to Steve Asbell.


I sterilized the soil by burning dry leaves on top to eliminate worms and other harmful elements that may damage the ginger.  I gathered dried leaves and mixed with some paper to burn. 


Burning the leaves on the plot


This shows the ashes after burning. 

Next I had to make the sticky soil porous by adding and mixing thoroughly coconut fiber and rice hull to make the soil loose. This will ensure that the roots can grow freely, otherwise, their growth will be stifled. 


This plot is ready for planting. 

In spite having an instant ginger patch, I still want to propagate ginger the Steve Asbell's way; let's start with the roots bought from the market.  I chose the firm and fleshy ones with tips showing on the edges though they're no yet green


Ginger soaked in warn water overnight to stimulate the roots and remove excess chemicals should there be any


I put these soaked root on a bed of moist coconut fiber to germinate in a warm place until the green tips grow into leaves.  This indicates that it is time to plant them on the ground or in pots.  Allow ample spaces between the roots to grow freely. 

 While the roots grow bigger, I can make use of some leaves.  Placed inside the fish when I steam or broil brings a unique flavor and freshness to the fish.  Hopefully after 8 months, I can look forward to a great harvest.  Wish me luck? 

No comments:

Post a Comment