Friday 25 September 2015

Our Edible Garden Is Coming Together



Our backyard is a pleasurable learning oasis.   As we are working to make our garden going; making it attractive and productive, I am learning more about plants through readings as well as from hands on experience.  In the process, we do not only have a haven for relaxation that produces food but a pre-occupation that is both therapeutic and rewarding. It allows us to live closer to the rhythm of nature. 

Some may feel that gardening is too ordinary, is too much work or even boring.  One is likely to ask: "where's the fun there?". 
But what if it promises a beautiful retreat that provides food on the table?

I didn't like gardening earlier during my grade school even though I grew up seeing my Papa planting fruit trees and lovely ornamentals.  I thought gardening as a subject in school was a waste of time, a time better spent learning math and literature. 

But times have changed and so is my perspective.  Now I love to garden and I'm excited.   As we incorporate plants and other elements in our backyard, I feel like I'm decorating the garden as I do in the interiors.  I enjoy moving around a pot or two, trying to figure out where and what plants to be placed directly in the ground and shopping for edible plants that could enhance the look of the place.  

Most important too, is eating fresh organic produce from the garden, a novelty nowadays since organic food is not cheap and not everyone can afford them unless they plant themselves. 

It is our love for the outdoors and a passion for gardening that prompted us to turn our backyard into an edible garden.  Earlier in this project, my husband put the initial parameters of the area;  lined two plots with bricks to grow leafy vegetables.




Here are the lettuce seedlings that were transplanted on this second plot. 

Inspired by my husband's enthusiasm,  I thought I'd make my own plot where I planted the stalks of the lowly kangkong (water spinach) and camote (yam) stems after getting the tops and leaves for our viand. 
Notice the lemon grass along the wall.

After two weeks we harvested enough mustard and  kangkong leaves for our fish broth.  It was delicious (maybe only to us) and we saved a few pesos.  Well, not much really but soon that will add up, right?  Besides, it's a pleasure to eat freshly picked veggies that come directly from our garden; its freshness is something even a supermarket or local farmers market couldn't match.



I'd  say at this point that our backyard garden is coming together beautifully.  We are in the process of filling up spaces.  Look at the lemon grass I placed along the wall, just behind our sitting area.  I love the citrusy flavor of lemon grass in marinades and dishes; mosquitoes also abhor the smell, so they don't go near us while we're under the shade. 


Below is my kamias tree that will eventually produce abundant fruits even along its trunk. It's future fruits would provide the sour taste of our fish or meat broth; (no need to buy tamarind bouillon anymore).  They could also be made into preserves. 


Recently, I've been looking for a practical as well as attractive ground cover.  One brother-in-law in Vancouver who is a backyard gardener himself saw my earlier blog and suggested we put grass in between plots for a cleaner look.  Well,  I've thought of that too, but then I wanted to check out other options since I am trying to avoid the chore of cutting the grass regularly; a time I'd rather spend tending the edibles.  I figured that a mix of predominantly stones, some edible ground covers and minimal grass would be more practical and will conserve water as well.



So far, here's what we've been up to this week.  Do you like the contrast of the while stones against the bricks?  We'll see if grass and more stones of a different color and size would cover the rest of the ground between plots. 

While searching for edible ground covers I learned that some herbs will do just that,  oregano and mint being the easiest to propagate.  I think I'll do patches of them around. 

I'd like to have at least three varieties of citrus trees.  Though they would eventually grow into trees, I believe that we will be able temper their height so as not to crowd the space.  These two are my latest acquisitions.

                 Calamansi

            Lemon tree

    I didn't know that the lemon flower is pink. 


     I am excited to see the fruits turn yellow                                 

Hopefully, I can make them bear plenty of fruits, I like to have lime as well so I'll scout for one soon.  Right now, I'm still debating whether to plant these two on the ground or keep them in the pots.  

Citrus makes everything brighter, their hanging fruits will make any garden special along with the fragrance of their blooming flowers.  Just a slice or two of lime and/or lemon will freshen up drinking water and is even known to have some health benefits.  Squeezing the juice makes a healthy and refreshing beverage, not to mention their use in salads and marinades.  I put citrus leaves inside the fish when I broil and it enhances the flavor.

I know that gardening is always a work in progress but I can't wait to see our garden come together completely.   Every night, I "plant-dream",  I'm always thinking that I'm doing the process of planting, tending, fixing.  I'm also contemplating what more I can do.  Imagine an athlete doing "armchair rehearsal", mentally going through his routine in his mind.  Yes!  that's exactly what I do every night.  Can you believe such enthusiasm?

Someone said that "the gardener's pleasure and reward is to sit, enjoy a drink and appreciate the view". I can say that as early as now, we are already enjoying our reward. 







No comments:

Post a Comment