Saturday 19 September 2015

Father And Son Bond



Saturday is by far one of the most quiet days in my neighborhood.  Most of the cars are at home along with their owners who are probably catching up on sleep.  But the bikes were out for the early birds who want to exercise. 

I've changed my routine this last week, I now walk in the morning since it rains in the afternoon.   Early on, I thought that walking in the morning would make me tired and sleepy that I won't have the energy to supervise my store.  But I was wrong, in fact I feel more energized and very much awake after taking a shower. 

Photo by zero creatives/ Getty images

This morning, I saw a father and son enjoying their bicycle ride; the boy was around seven years old; both were in their complete biking gear.   His dad was doing a manageable pace but the boy worked on his pedals double time and was logging behind by a meter or two.  His expression couldn't hide his joy and pride that he wasn't left behind.   They passed by me twice and this scene touched me so. 

I recall when our son and two girls were around that age, my husband got them a bicycle each.  Their grandpa was  always there on weekends to encourage them to bike on their own sans the balancer.  
"I thought that grandpa was holding my back so I don't fall, but then when I looked back, I realized I was doing it on my own", my older daughter said.  
There was no problem with our son for he is sports savvy, he learned easily after my husband gave him the basics. 

One summer when our granddaughter turned eight, we bought her a bike.  She wanted a fragile pink one so much, she was insistent to get it but my husband said that it won't last and put his foot down on a more sturdy one. 

"Did you have a bike mama?", my granddaughter asked her mom.
"Yes!  My bike was red and the brand was B-M-X."
"Really? I had forgotten that", I told my self, but the children remember. 

Walking further down the street, I saw another father and son,  washing the car, the boy was around nine in my estimate;  they were talking and smiling but I couldn't hear them since I was a bit far, but It looked like they were having fun. 

I thought: 
"There are so much activities to do with children if only one has the imagination and the willingness to take time to bond with them.  These are things they would remember and will forever cherish in their lifetime.  

Picture from pinterest

I believe that our son is very much aware of this, that on weekends and holidays, he starts the day playing with his one-and-a-half-year-old son;  urging him to play with his toys.  After breakfast he would bring him by the pool to walk or at the botanical garden.  When his  bath and nap are over, they often go swimming at the American club.  



I'm sure that my son is enjoying this much more than his son right now,  his son being too young to recall this later in his life, but the bonding is established.

From what I recall, my husband did the same as well.  Aside from teaching our son to bike, he was patient to drive him to his swimming lessons.  They also biked to the next village to buy bike accessories since there's where the only store with such during those days.  

One summer, my husband decided to manage the neighborhood basketball team after we found him one day asleep on the coach, tired going around the neighborhood with his buddies soliciting contribution for the participation fee, as was the tradition. 
"That's it, I'll take care of the fee", he told me. Then he rounded up the kids, giving them pep talks and coaching them, though his ultimate goal was to encourage our son in sports.   

After that summer our son gained so much confidence in sports that he became the star in his high school basketball team and upon graduation, he was awarded best in sports as well as the champion in debate.

When he started working, father and son used to play golf on Saturdays.  Later on, during our 25th wedding anniversary, he said in his speech: 
"Dad, you did not only teach me the game of golf but the game of life".  Wow! That was surely heart-warming. 

As I turned on the next street towards home, there's always this elderly lady walking on her cane.  As I greeted her today like I always do whenever I meet someone in the street; 
"where do you live again?", she would always ask.
"Oh, just around the corner", I'd answer back. 

As I got  back home, I wrote this while enjoying my coffee in the backyard.  That's one bonus whenever I walk; ideas hit me and I couldn't wait to get home to write them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment