Saturday 2 January 2021

THE MAGIC OF THE THREE KINGS (A childhood memory)

 
As we celebrate the Epiphany,  the feast of The Three Kings, childhood memories are awakened in me.   

After I got my gift from Santa Claus, I still anticipated the coming of The Three Kings. 
My older brother and I used to put our shoes with our socks on them by the door so they would be accessible for the Three Kings to get to them. 

For Christmas we got  what we wished for; we sent our letters to Santa via the postal service.  But we had no wishes from the Three Kings since they usually give us money, coins and lots of coins!!  

One morning though, I was surprised to see my older brother’s sock full of colored marbles.  I guess, the Three Kings knew that he was fond of playing with them during that time.  Though he got coins too, but I got more since i didn’t get marbles. The Three Kings are fair.  

When I got older, I realized that he already knew the magic of the Three Kings but they gave him anyway since his socks were there. 

Every Three Kings morning, after I get my coins I looked out down the street and I always saw three men wallking away and it always looked like they just left our home.  

From my recollection, i must have seen this for at least three consecutive years and the three men always looked the same. My belief must have been so strong that it manifested in my imagination.  

I don’t recall why I did not continue this practice with my children. This is one of my many regrets as a parent; and I have a lot. 

From today’s homily of Fr. Tito Caluag on his online mass, he made a parallel  between the star of Bethlehem guiding the path of the Three Kings to Jesus to that of our lives guided by the same star to do good always. 

He also couln’t forgeta poster in the seminary that says: “we may not reach the stars but they are always there to guide us”, 

This new year, may we be guided by the Star of Bethlehem always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment