Wednesday 29 April 2015

Meeting An Old Friend After A Long Time Feels Like Nothing Has Changed.

Len is a very interesting friend on Facebook.  In fact, we had more interaction here than we ever did personally way back when we were graders; at least that's what I remember, unless she'll say otherwise.   

I've wondered earlier whether we would be awkward since we haven't seen each other in over 40 years; besides I really didn't know her that well, especially as an adult.  Actually my contemporary and childhood best friend is her older sister, Eve.  Our families were very close though, my Dad and hers were best friends that's why I wanted very much to reconnect with them. 

Their home is one of the most wholesome and interesting places I'd known while I was growing up.  There are six sisters and two brothers and their Mom was a very charming lady who stayed at home and sews a lot.  So, these girls always wore pretty dresses, though my dresses were bought at Cinderella, I still envied them. 

Every so often, before or after school, I'd go to their place, often with the gang.  Her parents are very generous, they'll let everyone climb their guava trees and get all the yummy fruits we can pick and carry.   We would come down from the trees with our pockets bulging and often overflowing with guavas.  Under the trees were swings that we also enjoyed. 

Their dad was a lawyer who worked as a consul and eventually was assigned in New York.  Eventually,  he moved the whole family over there for good; and I haven't seen them since.  The girls worked there after college and settled in the US permanently. 

"We will be coming home for a visit sometime soon", Len mentioned on Facebook.
"That's great news, come meet me so we can catch up", I replied. 
"Yes, I'll surely come looking for you", she post back. 

Finally last week, she confirmed the date for us to meet up.  
"I hope you'll consider coming over for breakfast, brunch or lunch here at home", I post.  "It would be great to get to know your husband as well".  Unfortunately, he had some real estate matters to attend to.

"I'd love to have lunch with you if I may?, she replied. "Is there anything you want from here?, she asked.
"Thanks for asking, but I'm good. No need to bring anything, I just want to see you", I replied.  

But she still brought some stuffs for me.  You  have to know the "culture" of my town mates, and most Filipinos in general; bringing something for friends back home is a tradition.  In fact, they say that Filipinos even have a term for that, "pasalubong", which doesn't have a one-word translation in English, it means  "something to bring home as a gift"  for those you are going to visit. 

We got her from her cousin's and brought her to our home, we took pictures, she said she will show them to her sisters. 




I could have easily cooked our lunch, in fact, I have all the ingredients ready but since the temperature is 40 degrees, it's too hot to cook and she may be uncomfortable as well since only our bedrooms are air conditioned. 

Here we are at Le Petite Cherie, having lunch.



It took us quite awhile to finish lunch, there's just too much to talk about, remembering friends and town mates, where they are now and who married who, while my husband patiently listened and tried to be part of the conversation. 

The encounter seemed too short, she has a month left of her vacation but it has been planned out well.  They would be island hopping in the south of the archipelago with friends to enjoy nature and the beaches. So we agreed to meet again next year when she'll come back here with her sisters. 

Thanks for the visit Len, enjoy the rest of your vacation and see you again soon. 





No comments:

Post a Comment