Wednesday 1 April 2015

My MOMGO (mung bean) Recipe



The mung bean, commonly called mongo in Asia is from the legume family.  It is rich in fiber, protein and potassium and some vitamins. This is how it looks like when the seeds are taken off from the pod. 



I thought I'd cook sautéed mongo this Holy Week.  It is a cheap viand and commonly paired with "daing na bangus", (boneless milkfish dredged in vinegar, salt, crushed garlic and ground pepper), then fried.

One Monday morning, I was out of fresh veggies to cook for lunch, so I went to a veggie vendor at the corner looking for fresh leaves to add, malungay leaves or ampalaya (bitter gord leaves) is usually added. 

"What will you cook for lunch?", 
my nosy neighbor who happened along asked.  BTW, it is common for neighbors to ask what you'll be cooking, very personal, yes, but that's how it is, it's not unusual.  

"Oh, I run out of fresh veggies, so I thought I'd cook "ginisang mongo"(sautéed mongo)". I replied.

"Why are you out of schedule?  Isn't sautéed mongo served on Fridays together with fried milk fish?", she asked again. 

I just smiled, I didn't want to insult her by saying that I don't care about the schedule, I just wanted to cook mongo that day and who cares? 

But my neighbor is just being logical.   Yes, it true that Filipinos usually cook that on Fridays; I just don't know how the tradition started, but maybe because Filipinos abstain from meats on the Fridays of Lent, that's why this is a good meal for those days. 

My version of mongo recipe has a lot of veggies. 

Step 1-wash the mongo grains and soak in water overnight.

Step 2-boil in enough water, together with a  pandan leaf and crushed ginger until the grains burst open.   Crush the popped grains by pressing ladle along the sides of the cooking casserole to get a thick mixture. 

Step 3-sautee garlic, chopped onions, tomatoes.



Step4-add in the bell pepper, sliced zucchini (dredge in salt, then washed to remove the bitter juice, wash three times) 



Step 5-add chopped fresh oregano leaves, fresh tarragon and native jalapeño.



Step6-add the zucchini tops and young leaves and florets.  



Step7-put in two tablespoon of shrimp paste. Put in one tablespoon of Chinese cooking wine. 

Step 8-mix until the veggies wilt and add boiled mongo. 

Step 9-mix well, add fish sauce to your taste.

Step 10-sprinkle chopped cilantro and spring onions and serve.  Try it sometime. 


No comments:

Post a Comment