Friday 9 May 2014

Who Should Greet Who On Mother's Day?

Mother's Day feeling is in the air, every business establishment is gearing up for this special day.  Did you ever wonder why it is one of the most celebrated day of the year?  It has become very popular that everyone greets every mother they know.  I'm curious though if there is really a rule here; 
 "who should really greet who"? 

I often hear my husband tell me about a colleague who says that his wife always complain  "why he did not greet her, gave her a gift and dined her on Mother's Day?"  And My husband has a standard answer to that:
 "why, is she your mother?"
Is it really a " mortal sin" if a husband  do not wine and dine his wife on Mother's Day?  Can we brand him thoughtless if he does not do that? In the first place is he supposed to?

So, back to my question, "who should greet who?" 
Who in the family  is duty bound to do it? 

Was it only yesterday when my older daughter was relating to me that her brother recently  asked her; 
"did you feel bad when I didn't greet you last Mother's Day? I realized too late that you're already a mother too".  And she replied: "why should I, I'm not your mother".

But this occasion is so popular that everyone greets all mothers they know,  this greeting has been Instagrammed, twitted and sent via all other forms of social media over and over every year. Wanting to know more about this day, I searched the web and from this link I'd like to share with you; 


I learned that it is "the most commercially successful occasion, having become the most popular day to dine out".  In the early years of 1900, a certain Anna Jarvis celebrated her mother's memory; calling it "Mother's Day, bringing to the venue 500 white carnations. Soon afterwards, the annual celebrations continued with people wearing red carnations if their mothers were alive, and if not, they wore white carnations. 

It also talks about billions of dollars spent on gifts on this day; in cards, flowers, perfume, jewelry and things that express how much a mother is greatly appreciated and loved. This is the reason entrepreneurs kept the celebration alive to this day. 

Curious about Mother's Day quotes,  I found that the top ones mimic the "magic" of a mother's touch; just her presence alone has such enormous effect on her children.  My husband has a friend who when sick go home to his mother;  the siblings do the same, and you know what? They really get well fast. Then also, there is my husband's former boss who when not feeling well always get soup his mother brings to his office and he feels better right away. 

Now it dawned on me why when my two daughters are not well, they call me or; in the case of my younger daughter who live abroad, message me. Just last night I got a message from her that she is "not feeling well, has stomach cramps and feeling weak".  I hope that I messaged back the right words because after an exchange or two, she bade me "good night". 

But then again, "who should greet who"? I sound like a broken record, right?  You see, I want to set this straight. 

For me, I have no problem though,  I feel loved and appreciated when this occasion comes around every year.  My three children never fail to greet me, in words, (email, call or text if they are out of the country), cards, gifts and dining out in a restaurant.  And oh! My husband beats them all in greeting me first thing in the morning every year, he also makes sure that we celebrate the occasion whenever all my children are out of town and can't do it themselves; even if  "I'm not his mother". 

So, in keeping with this age's practice therefore;  I'd like to greet all the mothers of the world a "Happy Mother's Day"!

No comments:

Post a Comment