Sunday 18 May 2014

BB cream and Other Alphabet Formulations


Did you ever wonder what BB cream is? 

I was curious when I saw  a magazine ad of a BB cream, I even took a picture so I would remember what to look for at the cosmetic counter. 

When I eventually bought one of the L'Oreal True Match BB cream SPF 50,


I found that I already have a BB cream. My younger daughter, who is always aware of new products gave me a tube of Clinique age defense BB cream SPF-30 earlier.  I thought it was just a tinted moisturizer, 
"take this Mom, I know you're fond of tinted creams".
 I was thrilled for I know Clinique is an excellent brand and not cheap either.  It is funny though that I did not look closely so I over-looked the "BB" on the label.  


I used it several times but it felt "thick and heavy". I feel I have to use it somehow., considering it's value.  So I apply it as protection whenever I do sun-gazing; I look at the sun whenever I take off my contacts to improve my eye-sight making it "high definition".

I've been a user of facial moisturizer under a foundation ever since I can remember. I knew they worked for me and I like the coverage they provided. 

Then came the UV Perfect tinted moisturizer cream with SPF-50, "This is better", I thought for there are shade choices and definitely will add coverage. 


I got myself a tube and started using it under my pressed powder; it felt lighter than my usual age-defy Revlon foundation, though I must tell you that the tinted moisturizer did not give me the coverage that the foundation provided. 

When I tried the L'Oreal  True Match  BB cream, I found that it is relatively lighter on my face.  Then my younger daughter found a store that sells L'Oreal cosmetics at more reasonable prices and since I'm happy with the true match under my pressed powder, I asked her to check out the cost to compared with local prices.  Instead of just looking, she bought for me the true match along with the UV Perfect BB max sunscreen SPF 50.  


"Here, Mom", she said as she handed me both tubes:  "no need to use both, just use the sunscreen for daytime". I was very happy that I'm still using both to this day. 

But I still didn't know what "BB" stands for and I was curious.  I read everything printed on both of the boxes but it does not explain what it meant.  So I went to the expert: "google" for enlightenment. 

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
"BB cream stands for blemish balm, blemish base, beblesh balm (apparently because of the trademark in Korea on the word 'blemish'), and the western markets, beauty balm." 

Furthermore...

"BB cream is promoted as an all-in-one facial cosmetic product to replace serum, moisturizer, primer, foundation and sunblock.  It can be worn alone as tinted moisturizer". 

So there your are, that's BB cream.  

But do you know that aside from the BB cream, there are also the CC cream and the DD cream, and  the three together are the so-called  "alphabet formulations".  It's becoming more complicated, right?  Now don't be confused for I found this link on Fashionista.com, written by Cheryl Wischhover on 26 April 2013, who clarified the differences of the alphabet creams.


Cheryl Wischhover wrote that "CC stands for "color correcting", meant to address redness or shallowness, unlike the BB which is like a lighter foundation." In other words, it provides better coverage.  


In the mall that I frequent, Clinique is the only brand that carry this CC cream

Wischhover further wrote in 2013, that she anticipates the launch of yet another cream, "the DD cream, 'Dynamic Do-All', a BB/CC hybrid".

"Why are you so interested anyway?", you'd ask me.   Please don't get me wrong, I'm not that OC (obsessive and compulsive) about make up, really!  It's just that I want to up-date my look to keep up with the times, while make up still works for me. 

And let me tell you that nowadays, I've accepted the fact that as I age, my face will "grow old" with me.  I no longer worry when I see a new wrinkle as I face the mirror every morning or see more creases or "crow's feet" or the so-called laugh lines around my eyes.  I've been resigned to that sometime ago, why worry? It's inevitable, anyway.  Still I want to present a , ah, ah.. how shall I say this;   a proper or respectable face maybe, to people around me, especially to my family; if using the latest in facial care would give me a better way to present myself, why not?  

So how about you? Are you using the BB cream as well? Want to send me feedback? 

1 comment:

  1. One of my Japanese students surprised me with a tube. I had to research what BB meant -- blemish balm. He probably thought I needed it. "If this is expensive I can't take it," I said. He replied, "No, just free sample from my client." I use it when I remember it's there. LOL

    ReplyDelete