Monday 12 May 2014

My Mother's Day : A Three-day Celebration

Whew!  What a day!  It seemed like everyone greeted every mother they know today; well, at least on Facebook but I can imagine the same on Instagram, Twitter,  and all other forms of social media.  I'm happy to see that most of my friends greeted and dined their mothers and/or was dined themselves by their children. All in all, I'm sure it was a happy day of family bonding.

It was a wonderful Mother's Day for me. Read to know why. 

My celebration started the night before when my husband treated me to Caesar salad and pizza. I  really couldn't take in much more than that since I already had a sandwich for my afternoon snacks, and with my daily shot of green tea frap after my walk, that's enough for me for the day.  Besides, I knew that I was going to have a heavier breakfast the next day than my usual oatmeal-banana-dried fruit since my son was coming to town and was meeting us. 



When I got home, my sister in the US messaged me asking to provide her a picture of our mama. I thought she wants it for her Facebook post. "I'll send it early tomorrow", I said.  I need the morning light to take a good shot of the black and white photo taken in the mid-60's by a local photographer.  

So I got up early and while having coffee, I looked for my personal album entitled:  "Intimate Portrait", I called it that since the entire album is all about me, really very personal, something like a diary.  There were only three pictures of my mama, I chose two of my mama in a group picture and I emailed both to my sister.  She was surprised to see herself in the picture; she didn't even know that there's  such  a picture. She must be 9 years old when it was taken. 

Standing: my brother Tony and me at the back. My mama is seated and my little sis standing in front.

That done, I opened my mini and saw an iMessage from my older daughter, "happy Mother's Day  Mom, see you later".  I bathed and dressed early anticipating calls from my children abroad, I was even thinking that they may even want to FaceTime. True enough, just when we were leaving, I got a call from my son and daughter in law.   
"Hi",  I said, "we're on our way out to have breakfast with your sister".   
"Happy Mother's Day", my son said. "I'll be there tomorrow and it will be my turn to treat you to a Mother's Day breakfast; see you at the hotel at 6:30; I have an 8:30 meeting"  (my son is only here for a day on business but he had to see us).  
My daughter-in-law came on the phone and we both exchanged "happy Mother's Day" greetings.  After that we were off to breakfast. 

We artived at Le Petite Cherie, a French restaurant ahead of my daughter.  The place was cozy, bright and cool even on a hot summer day.   My granddaughter automatically hugged me when they arrived and handed me the greeting card she made which says:
 "happy Mother's Day, Nana, I love you, I love your food". 
My daughter handed me a gift bag as well and upon opening, here it is:

A cookbook of Asian cuisine, that explains the spices.


I ordered Croque Monsieur,  French toast with ham and cheese topped with bechamel sauce served with greens on the side.  I would have preferred fresh fruit with it instead of greens;  however there's freshly squeezed orange juice that went with it. You may wonder why I did not order it's female counterpart instead; the Croque Madame, but there's an egg on top and I'm trying to lessen my cholesterol intake. 



Click the link if you're interested to know more about this sandwich. Recipe included here. 


When I got home after Sunday mass, I heard the "ding" from my iPhone, a greeting from my younger daughter: 
 "Happy Mother's Day, Mom!  Not feeling well, I'm in pain, call later", she messaged. 
After resting and a mug of warm camomile tea later; she called that she was feeling better. We caught up on family news for a while before we hang up.  

As the day progressed, I saw on Facebook more and more pictures of families of my friends and relatives celebrating.  "What wonders Mother's Day brings to the family",  I told myself.  Most pictures were taken while families were eating; some posted pictures of gifts received;  some gave a breakdown of their day.  All in all, I conclude that Mother's Day is truly the "most celebrated occasion; it being the most popular day to dine out" 

The third of my Mother's Day celebration started early  morning  to meet our son.  Over a sumptuous breakfast spread at Holiday Inn restaurant, Flavors, we had a wonderful time; more than an hour catching up on each other's latest (though he calls often). This made our day; for really, meeting and talking face to face beats FaceTime anytime! 

This is the foyer of the restaurant. Notice those big bowls?  They contain spices, the mustard-colored one maybe curry powder, I didn't look closely nor smelled it.  

What a way to conclude my three-day Mother's Day celebration. A million thanks to my thoughtful children for the warm greetings, thanks to my husband as well who is always there for me. 

Once again, happy Mother's Day to all mothers, I hope that your day is as wonderfully happy as mine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment