Friday 3 January 2014

My Celadon Collection





It all started with a table lamp I needed to put on a side table. So, I enticed my husband to go see with me some of the wares of a Korean lady in Greenhills shopping center.  It was a small place, the shelves were  full and overflow items were on the floor. 

We finally agreed on the table lamp of choice. But my husband is also fond of artifacts, and as he looked at the display one more time; he has a roving eye you know, (well, at least only for beautiful objects,  thank God for that ) asked if I wanted to get three vases of gradated sizes as well to put on our coffee table. I chose a set, carefully scrutinizing that they all bear the same design.

Did you know that these ceramic wares have designs on their outer  surfaces and bear meanings as well? For instance,  the chrysanthemum design means health and well being; duck: premier ranking; and lotus: sun and mercy of Budda. 

And not only that, the shape of the vases has a meaning as well; inspired by nature; like animals or even the human form: the long slender shape with a gentle slop at the bottom expresses the voluptuous beauty of femininity while the wide shoulder and stockiness of vases shows masculinity. 

But why call it celadon? Researchers say that the term celadon is somewhat misleading; it means green but it is also an acceptable term for Korean pottery. 

Back to my collection:

 On one birthday, a friend gave me 3 celadon miniature fishes ( less that 2 inches long ), swimming in what else, but a celadon sauce dish. 

 Christmas brought a set of 5 miniature ducks, almost the same size as the fishes. Oh, it was so much fun to see 2 of these little green-glazed ducks with tiny red ribbons around their necks! 

Then piece by piece, they came pouring in! Word  got around my office about my fondness for these ceramics ( though I over-heard a colleague sour-graping about the celadon being too pale for her liking); so what? We don't have to be too loud and bold on our decor all the time, right?  That Christmas I got a lot of them; vases, big and small; coasters, candle holders, ash trays, etc.; they were all over the house! 

It was only until recently that I thought of putting them together. Collecting is so much fun; for every piece acquired; a victory! It keeps  my adrenaline pumping!  I never tire looking at the arrangement. I even took a picture and posted it on Facebook. My granddaughter, cannot claim that I get minimal "likes" in fact I got a lot!

 Now and then, I move the pieces around,  like they are toys, but then again, maybe they are exactly that to me. I just love my collection! 

Oops! My husband reminds me that I didn't include other pieces around the house. 

As center arrangement for round table.



The vase, coaster and ash tray are on a side table in the living room.



 This vase is on a corner table of my wall gallery. 



 This vase below is in the bathroom placed alongside my supply of shampoo, lotion and other cosmetics.


No comments:

Post a Comment