Friday 20 December 2013

What's walking got to do with me?



After 30 years of many responsibilities weighted on me by a hectic career coupled with the management of my convenience store, I was relieved when I retired; free from a structured time schedule without answering to anyone but myself. It was really good for a while but it left me with plenty of time on my own. So, I started moving around the furniture and de- clutter our home. But oh, how convenient it was for me to keep opening the refrigerator or the pantry to look for something to munch on.

After dinner is my favorite time of day when I sit down to read a good novel on my iPad while glancing at the tv program my husband happen to be watching. This led to midnight snacks of chips, cookies, chocolates, cakes, candied fruits, "creamed ice" (notice they all start with the letter "C") and yes, sometimes casta, oops, wrong, it's pasta. What an incredible combination of fat and carbo I've been eating!

You can guess what happened next. I was dizzy most of the time and I could hardly get up from bed in the morning. My doctor advised a complete laboratory test that gave high marks in FBS (sugar) and SGOT/SGPT(fatty liver). The solution? Diet and exercise. 

I had to change my eating habits, brown rice, I can tolerate but wheat bread?, taste like cardboard to me. I had to walk as well, before sunrise preferably. I have to tell you, it wasn't easy, old habits are hard to break. I'm no longer used to waking early enough. When my alarm comes off, I bargain for another 5 minutes, then 10 until I sleep again; when I wake up the sun is high and harsh.

My family kept urging me, my husband even bought me the latest neon Nike at that time, just to entice me. I finally got started, my iPhone and hanky hanging on a chain around my neck, my old reliable Oakley on, and my red umbrella open. Yes, I don't want to have freckles and dark spots. My nosy neighbor found the umbrella weird, but hey, who cares as long as I can do my exercise.

Today, my test is normal but I shall keep on walking. You may not imagine how it makes me feel, I look forward to walking everyday, it has become my lifestyle. Sick or not, walking makes me feel good and gives me a better perspective in life. I intend to keep walking for my health, for my life and I'll never walk away from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment