Monday 23 December 2013

Pen Pals

One afternoon in Junior High, I received a Song Hits Pamphlet.  I was surprised for  I haven't ordered one. Looking through the pages, I got another surprise, my name was included in the pen pal section. Who could have entered it?

Do I sound like I'm talking Mars  or Venus here?  Let me explain.

First the song hits: every week this small magazine, almost the size of a paperback but much thinner comes out bearing the lyrics of the latest hits and specifies which ones made it to the top ten. Back then, listening to the radio was a preoccupation, so this is useful so one can sing along. Not only that, there's a pen pal section at the back pages, a list of names of people wanting to receive letters. To  have your name included you just fill an attached form and send it for a fee; like advertising oneself. If someone will write you, then you have a pen pal.

In the late 50's, communication was limited to letter writing via the postal system and telegrams via PT&T; landlines, if there are any, were only confined in Manila and key cities, but not in my hometown.  Digital conversations, text messaging, voice mail, etc is yet to evolve. 

Okay, can you get me now? Shall I continue with my story?

.......then letters came pouring in. Oh my, all sorts of letters from both sexes.  At first I answered them all, for in the get- acquainted stage, I developed an stereo-type letter.  They all want to know me better; some expressed a wish to see me personally, but if we meet, we would soon graduate from pen pal letters to friendly letters. Apparently, I'm a little bit hot myself for they kept answering my letters  too, Everyday I can't wait for the postman to pass by to give my letters, excited to write back immediately. 

Suddenly, some of the boys changed their tune, they practiced love letters on me. Enough!, I said and eventually dropped them all except two, who wrote very lovely letters, I could really learn from them. The correspondence went on, Just can't recall how it stopped, maybe we weren't creative enough that we ran out of topics to write about, but it was fun while it lasted.

By the way, I turned in this story as an essay on "my most unforgettable experience " in College English 101 and got an A, but I wont expect you to rate me even if you intend to give an A+. I just enjoyed sharing this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment