Friday 11 October 2024

NOW IT CAN BE TOLD



Recently, Jim underwent a vitreous eye procedure. My children never failed to show their love and concern on situations like this. 

My son flew in for the day to be with us. When he came up to the waiting room I realized that most of the load was taken off my shoulder, I could even breathe easily and I was so happy to see him. But by then, Jim was already in the prep room. 

It is during crucial circumstances such as this when our family regroup and my son makes it a point to come home, much more so than on family celebrations, though he never missed family milestones. 

The procedure took longer than we expected.

“I need to go check out from Shangrila hotel soon, but I need to see my dad, at least talk to him briefly, please let us know as soon as I could see him ” , he told the receptionist. 

“Let’s take a selfie”, I said thinking that he may not see his Dad. “Why, do we need a proof that I was here?”, ! he jokingly replied. “Ok, let’s take a selfie by the Asian Eye poster then”, he said and I willingly got up and brought out my phone. 


While waiting, both of us feeling a bit apprehensive, we talked; and my mind was diverted; for a while I forgot what’s taking place in surgery. Though he was here last month to celebrate his birthday we didn’t get the chance to really talk. I was glad for the opportunity to catch up. 

I was happy to hear our grandson’s latest activities, that he is grade 5 class officer and the “reforms” he intends to make in their school environment. Hmmm, ain’t he all business? On Tuesdays during breakfast, he would announce: “oh, it’s Tuesday, I have a 2 o’clock”, he would say, meaning the class officers meeting.  

My younger daughter, who also lives abroad has been messaging me, asking details which made me feel that I wasn't alone on this. 

“Thoughts and prayers with you and Dad, take care” ; she messaged early that morning when I said that we were already at the clinic. Henceforth, I kept updating her because I know she is waiting for news. 

My older daughter who lives in town, came over the night before to wish Jim well and to boost his morale. Like her younger sister, she kept communicating as well. 

“Please tell manong Jim that I’m praying and thinking of him during the procedure”, my sister messaged me as well. 

Finally we were told that Jim was in the recovery room, still groggy but he would be awake soon.

I immediately messaged my two daughters; 

“Dad is now in recovery room”; meaning that the hard part is over. “Great news”, they both replied. 

Finally, my son was able to talk to his Dad, they held hands and he placed his other hand on his Dad’s shoulder while they talked briefly. Then he said he had to go, so we hugged and I sent him off with a thank you for coming home however briefly. And then he was gone! 

Left alone momentarily , I said my prayers of thanks that everything went well. Then I remembered that I had to go two floors down to accounting; so I gathered my things and got the bill settled. 

“On our way home, thanks a lot for your prayers and your well wishes for Jim”, I messaged my friends and my sister who were praying for us. 

I realized that in life no matter what curve balls is thrown to us, somehow it becomes more bearable with a loving family and the best of friends. Thank you , Lord for their presence in my life. 

And all’s well that ends well. 

1 comment:

  1. I join you in thanking the Lord for His goodness and love. You have a caring family. Heaps of blessings they all are! I hope Jim will be totally healed soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete