Wednesday 25 October 2023

YOGURT MAKING TUTORIAL

​Yesterday I invited Celine and Juliet, two of my friends and walking buddies for breakfast. They are interested to learn to make yogurt; I thought we would do it right after. 


Another friend and walking buddy as well, Cheska, a cooking aficionado gave us yogurt mother liquor sometime ago; that’s when I started making my yogurt again.  Since I did that too a long time ago. 


Oatmeal is my breakfast staple for more than 25 years. I tried all possible options to make my oatmeal interesting and tasty; but some were not as tasty and healthy as my latest concoction. 


This is my overnight oatmeal recipe good for two servings.  Although the oatmeal with ground flax seeds were cooked ahead, I need to overnight the mixture so the chia seeds can absorb the milk. 


THE OATMEAL RECIPE 


1 cup oatmeal with flax seeds 

1 cup nonfat milk 

1-2 drizzles of honey 

1 heaping tsp chia seeds 

1 cup yogurt 


The yogurt makes all the difference; therefore, I can’t do without it. The sugar content of commercial yogurt is so much, it’s not good for me. I learned that the “lite” version is reduced fat which with additional sugar to compensate the taste quality. 


Right after breakfast, we gathered the ingredients and paraphernalia for yogurt making. 


THE PROCESS 

In a sauce pan I brought to a near boil to 185 degrees a liter of milk. 

Photo 


Juliet held the pan steady on an iced water bath to hasten the cool down to 115-120 and not lower. This has to be monitored closely, the temperature can go down fast. 

Photo 


I dissolved the contents of one sachet of the yogurt starter in a cup and added a cupful of the heated milk and mixed thoroughly. Then added that to the pan of milk. 


This is the starter I use but any brand will do. There are 16 sachets in the box. 


Celine ladled the mixture into smaller containers and must stay in a warm  environment to allow the microorganisms to grow and solidify. I put then inside my oven toaster. 


At this point, we can put flavors to the yogurt like vanilla, lemon, honey or fruits. 


After 8-10 hours the yogurt is formed;  I covered the containers and put them in the refrigerator, they are best within a week but they can last longer. 


I use a container-full for my oatmeal mixture good for two servings. 


My breakfast is that mixture with a slice of papaya and one-egg omelet with onions and tomatoes.  If one of bbm my buddies will invite me for breakfast, I will need a lot of willpower to control my intake. 







No comments:

Post a Comment