Friday 20 March 2020

WHAT IS YOUR RETIREMENT WORD?



Bloggers say that it is good to adapt a word or theme that will serve as a reminder to keep us in line with our goals, resolutions or commitments we made to better ourselves.  

In our busy world nowadays, mindfulness has been the "talk of the town ", my son said.  Because of the numerous distractions we encounter everyday people get tired; I guess many believe being mindful is a way to reconnect with themselves to be in the present.  

I'm choosing the word mindfulness as my theme, which rightfully coincides with my blog title.  For me, mindfulness is not only focusing on the present; but also opening our eyes and minds to reality; to be right here right now. 

I believe that my theme is not only timely but also necessary during these trying times of the CODVID 19.  Everyone is trying to "flatten the curve" that mindfulness is imperative. The elderly especially must be mindful of precautionary measures because they are believed to be the most vulnerable. 

Sometime last week in my eagerness to buy our maintenance medicine quickly and be done with it, I didn't realize I was almost crowding a lady at the drugstore counter.   I realized that I wasn't mindful when my husband asked me to move back, social distancing totally slipped my mind. 

To me mindfulness also means being alert for our well being and safety.  That's the reason I am always careful going up and down stairs.  Take this scenario in a church wedding when I'm all dressed up wearing a moderately high heels (no stilettos for me anymore).  While going down the steps, I see a friend eagerly waving to me.  If I continue looking at her and not watch where I'm going, I may miss a step and who knows what I'll break? 

Oftentimes we miss our great moments because we are too preoccupied reading emails, doing Facebook, Twitter, watching Netflix or playing games on line. All these activities elude us from being mindful of the present.  

Mindfulness also means keeping with the times, being updated in every way.   Let's take fashion for instance, I guess everyone can tell if some of out outfits are passé.  If we ladies haven't changed what and how we use make up since college, it means we are not paying attention to current trends.  Someone said that it is good to "walk with the times". 

Sometime ago, I was looking for my shade of lipstick when the sales lady told me that they phased out that particular shade.  A charming lady beside me said: "if your shade is no longer available, it means it is time to change".  And she was right, I did find a better one. 

Oftentimes, life's challenges overwhelm us. We worry too much about our difficulties that we miss moments that could otherwise have given us hope and allayed our fears. I always resign myself to challenges; if I have done what's to be done then I move on and try to focus on the present again. 

Mindfulness is vital to us retirees so we do not stress ourselves thinking of our difficult past and worrying what the future will bring.  After all, we often say that the past is water under the bridge and the future is still to unfold.  Worrying will just give us stress that can cause illness. 

Let's learn to appreciate every little thing and try to find joy wherever and whenever we can.  Let us slow down, calm ourselves, spend sometime outdoors, smell the flowers again, listen to the birds that sing, bask in the sunshine and the cool breeze; let's fill our senses with nature, it's the best there is and with no cost at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment