Tuesday 3 March 2020

TAKE A BIG LEAP THIS NEW LEAP YEAR



This one is something I didn't mention in my last blog about a more exciting retirement.  I read that one way to make us retirees feel more alive is to take a big leap.  I don't literally mean taking a leap down a Clift or jumping from an airplane, or diving into the deep end of the swimming pool if we can't swim; not even riding a roller coaster if we're not up to it.  We can't afford to live dangerously.

The big leap I'm talking about is doing something out of our comfort zone, something we believe we are not good at; something we're not comfortable with; something we've never done before;  like jumping  into unchartered seas. 

Many seniors I know refuse to learn using a cellphone, much more a computer.  "I'm too old", they say; "it is too complicated for me".  I personally know two seniors who doesn't own a cellphone, they rely on their children to receive messages from friends who relay the same via landline.  

Isn't learning to surf the Internet, using apps, or just simply sending and receiving text messages exciting in itself? If one never touched a cellphone, an iPad or a laptap earlier, I say learning to do so is a big leap. 

Many people do not want to cook because they are afraid to fail, "what if I burn the roast?   What if the stew doesn't taste good?  What if the cake turns out a flop?".  Doesn't that sounds familiar?  I'd say cooking  and baking without regard to the outcome is a big leap.

I've known a lot of people who are not confident to speak before an audience.  Public speaking is one thing, but how about the speech itself?  Two problems then: what to say and how to say it.  Mastering and overcoming our inhibitions in public speaking is a big leap.

How about dancing?  Some people are just too self-conscious to dance.  When asked, they would adamantly refuse; "I have two left feet", they would say.  Learning to dance confidently with enthusiasm is a big leap if we have never dance at all. 

I guess the older we are the more we put resistance in doing things we are not used to.  I am amazed that children have no fear, self-consciousness nor shame in learning new things.  When they fail, they laugh then try again.  Adults however, specially us seniors are very sensitive and are ashamed to make mistakes.  Seniors are more reluctant to take risks of any kind.

At this point , I'm still making up my mind what will be my big leap.   I can cook, bake and brave enough to experiment with  new dishes; I  can write a speech and confident enough to speak in public.  

At this writing, I know the basic use of gadgets but I'm still trying to catch up with the fast evolution of technology .  I want to learn more tricks and enhance my skills in this field, but that wouldn't be a big leap. 

I admit that I can't swim, I can't draw, i cant paint.  If I pursue painting or drawing, I know I won't excel, my work will be mediocre.  Then it will not be worth my time if I'll do it for the sake of trying to make I big leap. 

At this point in my life, the third part; I still don't know what my big leap is.  But I know that it is never too late to learn as long as I am open to new experiences.  I am in good shape than most seniors my age, I may have health issues  but I am healthy enough because they are normal aging conditions. 

As I continue this journey called retirement, soon I hope to realize what my leap is.  I'm sure it will bring more fulfillment and excitement in my life; be it a big or small leap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment