Sunday 22 March 2020

SOCIALIZATION RATES NUMBER 1FOR A GREAT RETIREMENT ACTIVITY


Just as I was thinking about socialization as a topic for my next blog on the retirement series, my neighbor, Tess, a walking buddy invited me and another neighbor for dinner. 

I thought, why not?  I knew it would be nice to visit her vibrant and lovely home again.  Besides, it is always great to meet another possible good friend.  

I read that socialization rates number one among the retirement tips suggested by experts.  It is the best way to keep the doctor away and illness at bay.  Yes!  More than the apple-a-day prescribed by a nursery rhyme we learned in kindergarten.  Interaction with people tops in keeping the older folks lucid, alert and happy more than breaking our brains doing crossword puzzle;  agonizing over every move in chess or reading almost every book. 

I remembered my manners so I wondered what I'll bring to dinner.  I know a bottle of red would be appropriate but I recalled that my hostess asked me if I like crabs and there is no more white wine in my husband's stash.  Besides, they say that the best pairing for crabs is beer, I really wouldn't know though, I don't drink alcoholic beverages; except maybe a glass of bubbly on special events, but that is seldom. 

So I went to a nearby bakery and found a nicely decorated matcha green tea chiffon cake and I decided that will do. Someone said that if there's a cake it's a party, otherwise, it is just a meeting. 

Promptly at six, I found myself comfortably seated on a comfortable leather couch with soft pillows all around, in my hostess' office/ tv/lounging room being offered plantain fries with a glass of my choice of drink while waiting for the other friend to arrive.  

As soon as she arrived, she offered her hand to me in introduction.  Right away, I found her quite interesting, I knew that we would click as friends.  For 30 years, she worked as a flight attendant, she is still looking young and fresh and has kept her hour glass figure like our hostess. I didn't mind that I'm not as slender as they are, after all I'm more than 20 years older, so that's acceptable. 

We had dinner by the pool; there was a slight breeze coming from the plants surrounding the lashed garden.  Before I knew it, we were eating and laughing a lot, sharing stories and everything women talk about when they get together.  It was a fun evening. We were reluctant to end it but we are just neighbors so we can always do it again. 

This morning, I saw Me'anne or rather she saw me and she sat beside me in church for the first Friday mass.  She told me after mass that when she saw me she told herself, "Lord, I knew she could be my friend". 

I had a great time at dinner last night.  Socializing with friends  indeed breaks the monotony of routine and boost adrenaline for anyone, young or old alike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment