Sunday 16 October 2016

Kailan in Oyster Sauce: My Version



Jim harvested a few stems from our edible backyard garden this morning and I thought I'd share with you my version of kailan in oyster sauce. 


See below the kailan plots. 




Kailan or Gai-lan as the Chinese call it, is also known as Chinese broccoli and belongs to the broccoli species.  It may be prepared like Pak Choy or Bok Choy.


After washing, I took off the leaves and removed the outer skin of the stalks. 


I steamed the leaves and stalks though it could also be blanched with a little salt. 

I soaked four pieces of dried shiitake last night,  now they are hydrated and ready to be sliced into thin pieces.  

The sauce is sautéed garlic, onions and shiitake, oyster sauce, half of pork bouillon, a dash of Italian spices and corn starch in water to thicken.  This is poured over the steamed kailan. 


This was our lunch today, it went well with KFC.  

Want to try it?

No comments:

Post a Comment