Sunday 4 September 2016

Crispy Beef In Orange Sauce




I felt like eating crispy beef in orange sauce today when I recalled what I ate at Chopsuey Restaurant in Dempsey, Singapore.  I had no idea what went in the beef except the orange so I chose one version from the recipies that came out of my on line search.  

Half a kilo of sirloin beef, sliced in 1/4-inch strips


Added  a tbsp of soy and 6 tbsp of cornstarch until beef was coated thoroughly. 
Put in the freezer for an hour to enhance crispness.


With a peeler, I took the yellow skin of an orange making sure not to include the white portion since that is bitter.  

I cut the peel into thin slices and set aside. 



I squeezed half of the orange juice 
Added 1 tbsp cooking wine, 2 tbsp red wine,1 tbsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp soy and 3 tbsp orange marmalade and whisked to incorporate ingredients.  Set aside.


Sauted in 1 tbsp vegetable oil, 1 tsp minced garlic, 1 tsp grated ginger and orange rind. 

Added the orange juice mixture and let it boil. 

 beef strips deep-fried until crispy  

Crispy beef fully coated in orange sauce.

The finished dish, in the picture above was garnished it with chopped spring onions and basil.  

Conclusion/Recommendation:

Jim noted a slightly bitter taste and we attributed it to the orange peel's white portion that came off with the rind.
Next time I'll just grate the yellow portion of the orange rind careful not to include the white part.  

The recipe called for 3 tbsp molasses but I opted to use 3 tbsp of orange marmalade.  Next time Jim said it maybe good to add 1 tbsp of honey as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment