Sunday 28 August 2016

Home Alone Sunday



Do you think alone is lonely? 

I'm alone this Sunday, Jim is off with the boys for a lunch-merienda-dinner reunion with the former office guys, a one-to-sawa kwentohan (re-tell and laugh over all the jokes from way back when);  my daughter and her family is having their own weekend bonding time and it's  my maid's day off.  Even our son and younger daughter abroad are quiet; no iMessage, pictures or FaceTime this weekend.  

But I am not lonely being alone. 

After mass with Jim early this morning, an hour with my maid in the market to get our weekly supply of veggies and fish, and one load of clothes in the washer, I was finally alone.  The first order of the day was to "get polished!", I was at the beauty parlor in a breeze.  

The parlor was full as early as half past ten but I made an early appointment so I was attended to right away.  I wanted to be out of there before noon so I could watch a noontime show at 12.  My beautician who always do my feet is an expert, unfortunately, the one she chose to do my fingernails is new, so it took her quite awhile.  I was patient until it was 10 minutes before noon, so I had to prod her to hurry up. 

I brought lunch to our room so I could watch the noontime show.  I was also anticipating to watch a movie afterwards so I did not even had time to nap. 

The noontime show was good and the movie was even better, though it was something Jim would never enjoy, so it was good that I was alone and not bore him.

The last highlight of the day was the grand finals of the Voice Kids.  Jim and I have been watching this from the start.   On the Sing-offs, Jim pitied Joshua because his mother left them so he voted through text and was surprised when he got a reply saying thanks and his entitlement to a 15% discount for a single item purchase at H&M, the company that provided the wardrobe for the contestants.   Of course, our 11-year-old granddaughter is interested in that. 

As we watched the contest every week, our hearts went all out to these kids determined to win especially the deprived ones.  We hope that the experience has not been traumatic for those who were eliminated as the contest progressed; instead it should serve as a challenge to master their trade.  Some shared their sad life stories: either they are homeless, part of a broken home or abandoned by a parent.

And the winner is......JOSHUA!  
The 3rd Grand Champion of the Voice Kids in the Philippines. His wish was to have his mother back home and he believes that if he wins, his family will be reunited . 

He was coached by Lea Salonga, dubbed in the Philippines as the Broadway Diva, though it is good to remember especially for us Filipinos that Lea Salonga is internationally acclaimed both as a Laurence Olivier and Tony Awardee for her theatre performances In the US and London. 

I had a quiet and restful day, exactly what a Sunday should be.  Hope your Sunday is just as well, if not better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment