Tuesday 9 September 2014

Getting To Know My Fitbit Zip

Today, I "nailed it", as per my Fitbit zip!



I finally burned more calories than I took in!  This made me more optimistic because yesterday was the start of my typical day after my vacation in Singapore and the subsequent visit of my younger daughter and her husband in town.   I believe that I can meet my goal if I follow my regular daily routine and watch my diet carefully.

I was excited to own a Fitbit, remember I wrote about getting one for myself on my last birthday but while I was waiting for my son-in-law to order it from amazon, I became ambivalent due to some blogs I read about the Fitbit flex, (my original choice, it wears like a watch with a silicon strap) , that it is "uncomfortable and smelled like vinegar when you sweat". 

However when I saw my son wearing a black flex, it looks like it's fine. 

"I remove the tracker and put it in my pocket when I go to work", he says;  while showing me how to take it off from its strap.  He also didn't find anything wrong with it. 

"I can get you one if you like, come on, open Fitbit.com and look at the choices. ",  he said and went about showing me the choices from my iPad. 

I chose the Fitbit zip as I could easily hook it on my bra, that way it is unobtrusive.  I feel conscious wearing the flex on my wrist;  makes me feel like I'm "trying hard", especially since I really look over-weight; unlike  my son who has the look of someone "really fit".

Thanks to my son, for getting me a Fitbit zip last week.  Now, my exercise becomes even more exciting and challenging.  He helped me set it up; first we installed the app on my iPhone; he showed me how to log my food in-take and find the equivalent calories.  Then I was left on my own to know more how the zip operates. 

As I continue exploring the stats that my zip provides regards  my program, I can't help but be amazed how detailed the information that it puts forward every time I sync my activities. 

After a week of using it, I even got a feedback from Fitbit.com how I fared this past week of September 1-7. By the way, most of the stats it provides are in graphical form, and I'm one person who have full appreciation for graphs.  My husband has a fancy for graphs, he used to make sales proposals and reports practically based on a graph alone, and this he always shared with me, so I fully appreciate how the stats are presented. 

 Earlier on I thought I just needed a gadget to count my steps and to keep tab of the calories taken versus calories burned, but I was happy to note that the zip on its face alone shows 
. the number of steps made
. distance navigated
. active minutes 
. Calories burned and it also
. Tells time. 

What's more, "it syncs wirelessly and automatically" to my iPhone and  my data comes out in real time so I know right away how many steps I made, how far I travelled and calories burned.  The tracking is possible through a few apps.  I chose the Fitbit App.

What I am most happy about my zip is the goal setting feature.  Actually this feature can work both ways, whether you desire to lose or gain weight. Should you wish to lose 5 kilos for instance; it gives you the option to choose how rigorous your regiment will be.  There are four options provided: slow, medium, moderate and fast. 

 Depending on the pace you've chosen, it then sets your goal on the actual activities you should undertake to meet it: specifically the number of steps; distance you need to travel; water intake; the  number of calories you must burn, length of active minutes while it leaves you to manage your diet. If you log your intake, it gives you the balance between calories in and out immediately, this will also  tell you  how much more food you can take in for the day.  

I am happy to note that meeting my goal is quite a possibly since I met the requirement for a day, my typical day; with my normal activities and my eating pattern.  It was not really difficult since I chose the slow regiment.  I feel that with baby steps, my goal is easier to achieve.  Besides, my doctor wanted me to keep my weight but not to gain more provided I go slow on sugar and fatty food. 

"If you lose too much weight, your skin will wrinkle and you will look older",  he said.

 But I feel I need to lose a few pounds, and I chose "slow", so my loss will be gradual and hopefully according to my zip, I'll meet my goal in eight months, starting this current one. 

 When I started using the zip on the last day of August, I was just focused on the calories burned and number of steps I made.  I was not aware of the enormous information the zip can provide in aid of my goal.  I got a good boost when  Fitbit.com congratulated me for earning my first badge walking 5000 steps while window shopping half of the morning. 

"You walked more than 5000 steps today
Congrats on earning your first step badge. You're halfway to earning your next one".



 Since I was then on vacation, I was not so active, I missed my regular one-hour daily walk coupled with the fact that I kept eating; often in larger proportions because my son and my younger daughter together with their spouses kept bringing us out to lunch and dinner. Well, one's got to live once in a while, right?  

 But that was a blessing in disguise for it revealed a lot when my zip indicated that I really ate so much more than I burned during those 10 days. If I keep eating that way, I will gain so much weight and before I can say awww, I won't  be able to put on my skinny jeggings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment