Saturday 13 September 2014

Family Of Growers: The Aspiring Green Thumbs

(The sub-title is my husband's show of encouragement to us)





This is a sequel to my younger daughter's blog:

Singing sappy songs in the shower: "Family of Growers"  here it is, just click the link. 


As soon as I got back from my vacation in a Singapore, I looked up my stock of cilantro and spring onions left behind in my crisper 10 days ago. Wrapped in brown paper, I found then still good to use, so at midnight (that was when I finally had the time to do it), I trimmed off the top leaves and set them aside to use later and put the lower portion with the roots in water. 



I remembered, I also have left-over romaine, so I did the same to it as well.  But then I over- looked the fact that the fresher the veggies, the better chances to re-grow; so much so that my cilantro is in serious condition, it's in ICU, I cant take a picture., hahaha!  But my spring onions and romaine are thriving, as you can see below. 



As my daughter referred in her blog, this "fascination" started when I accidentally found this link on Facebook and immediately shared it. It's about re-growing veggie tops or bottoms first in water, them plant in a pot to propagate.  Supposedly, it should survive inside the house.  You maybe interested as well, here's that link: 


Then I thought, why not do it together with my sister in the US and my two daughters; one lives in another Asian city and the another lives in town.  

"Hey guys", I post on Facebook, 
"let's do this for fun",  I captioned the link and picture. I knew they will not pass up this challenge. 

"Let's start in September", I said to celebrate my sister's birthday month because I also knew that I'll be out of the country on the last week of August.  I didn't expect such enthusiasm from them that I was surprised when they immediately worked on the veggies available at home without waiting for September. 

My sister immediately post a picture of a trimmed celery, (picture in my daughter's blog) and here's the result after a week when it was time to plant. 


My older daughter started with scallions.

Then added celery upon realizing that celery seems to work best in the game. 



And my younger daughter tried an onion bulb.  It seemed like everything was going well, then, coming home from a 5-day trip, she said that her onion is R. I. P.  I recommended to take off a big part of the blossom and hopefully there maybe some hope. 



Then, I also enticed my niece, who practically don't sleep at night doing paperwork for the operation of around 30 outlets (and counting) of Aboy's Fresh Lumpia (spring rolls).   While working, I'm sure she perks up when she opens Facebook and checks out what's going on about our plants. 
"I don't do planting", she initially told us but then, she couldn't resist and tried a romaine bottom.



This created a lot of interest that we made a lot of comments on Facebook, so my younger daughter thought it was time to organize, she created a group and called it: "family of growers". 

Mind you, don't be so impressed, we are not professional growers, we're just doing it for fun, believing that in the process, we learn some, and when the need for such herb/ veggie arise, we have them on hand at home.  This is also turning out to be a good conversation point among us; I'm just loving it.  It also gives us a reason to look forward every morning to check our plants and open Facebook to see what the others have. 

Soon, my older daughter started posting pictures of seedlings, this one from the avocado they ate:



And here's the chili pepper she used and planted the seeds. (Right photo)


 My younger daughter put her calamansi (a local variety of lime) with robust fruits and even used it as a header for "family of growers". 



And boasted her garden-bought basil from where she get some leaves for her salsa and pasta. 



Not to be outdone, my sister post her papaya tree already bearing fruits in her backyard. 



 Then she also showed us the cilantro leaves she used for salsa and her intent to propagate the stalks. 

"I need to grow cilantro since I use it often".


Two days ago, my younger daughter put in:
 "I went shopping today", 
And I thought: 
"What? Another designer's dress again! ", but look at her post:



And my older daughter's posts: "I bought pots"
And my sister commented: " you guys are really serious". 



Now, we are growing all the bottoms of veggies we cook, I am  tending petchay bottoms from the leaves I used for fish stew two days ago. I just planted them today. See them below. 



Carrot tops I used for spring rolls yesterday, already soaked in water, I guess I have to wait a little longer than a week. 



My sister is also growing bochoy from leaves used in preparing kare kare (meat stew in peanut sauce)


After a week, here they are:



The enthusiasm continues, yesterday my older daughter even scattered calamansi seeds on a pot. Well, we will wait and see about that; I just hope we won't wait too long. 



At this writing, we are enticing my two nieces (my sister's daughters) in California to join in the fun. I can only say that it's getting merrier and merrier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment