Monday 8 January 2024

MISO SOUP WITH WAKAME

​Today I’ll share with you my version of miso wakame soup 

I got interested in cooking simple Japanese food from my friend, Joy. As we cover ground walking everyday; I often ask her what meals she cooks for her Japanese husband. 


She shared some salad and soup recipes and I thought I’ll make miso wakame soup since she gave me 

Miso with dashi 


and dried wakame 


Since Joy doesn’t measure, she said: 

“put enough water for the number of servings you want and boil, grab a handful of wakame, when it’s done, put miso and turn off heat. Add some herbs if you like”. 


I searched on line for more info; I even ordered miso wakame soup when we dined at a reputable Japanese restaurant to familiarize myself with the taste. Here is a photo of the miso wakame soup I ordered at Sensei restaurant. 


When the opportunity came up, I prepared the soup and here is my version. 


                         Ingredients 

6 cups water 

1 tbsp olive oil 

1/4 cup chopped white part spring onions 

1/4 cup chopped green part spring onions 



2 tbsps dried wakame 

3 heaping tbsp miso with dashi; if miso available has no dashi then add a tablespoon of the dashi powder 

2 tbsps soy sauce 

1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds 

1 tbsp sesame oil 

Tofu cut in 1/2 inch cubes



                        Procedure 


In a pot boil 6 cups water 

In a separate ceramic serving pot that could stand high heat like the sukiyaki bowl I used;

Put oil and white onions and cook until translucent 

Add the water and let it boil awhile 

Add the wakame and stir until they open 

Add the tofu, when they float turn off heat 

Add miso and soy sauce; this is when you can add dashi powder if your miso has no dashi. 

Sprinkle green onions and toasted sesame seeds 

Drizzle sesame oil 

Adjust to taste 

And this dish is done. 


When I made this I paired it with tataki salad and we had a meal. 




No comments:

Post a Comment