Thursday 10 August 2023

PORK SPARE RIBS, SALTED BLACK BEANS, DIMSUM STYLE


Didn't I tell you that I’m trying to expand my cooking repertoire to make happy meals for me and Jim?  Today, I cooked pork spare ribs with salted black beens, dimsum style. 


Let your butcher machine-cut 
500 gms of pork ribs, about 1-2 inch cubes, not bigger. 

             Wash pork ribs
In a bowl, put ribs and add
1 tbsp baking soda,  mix well, then add:  
1 cup boiling water. 
Let that stand for 10 minutes. 

Wash the ribs thoroughly 3-4 times then 
Drain and dry with paper towels 

               Make Marinade 
In a boil mix
3 cloves crashed garlic
1 tbsp cooking wine
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp ground paper

Mix well, put in pork ribs, Add 

1 1/2 tbsp corn starch and mix to ensure ribs are fully coated.   
At this point there should be no  liquid remaining. 

For best results marinate this overnight, if in a hurry, 30 minutes will do.  For this batch I marinated it for 7 hours. 

                      Steaming 
Set up a steamer big enough to accommodate the pan of ribs.  Otherwise, steam in  batches. 
Put the ribs on a plate that can stand steam, no plastic please. 
Garnish the ribs with 

2 tbsps salted black beans
2 tbsps thinly sliced leeks
1 pc red chili thinly sliced diagonally ( optional)



After an hour I checked  if pork is already tender, but it needed  another half hour more. So I covered again and waited. 

To get the right tenderness it took  1 1/2 hours. Lesser portions of ribs may tenderize faster. 

This ribs will also tenderize on a pressure cooker if you please. 

It was good, about as tasteful like eating in a Chinese restaurant. 
I noticed that 500 gms is too much for me and Jim for one meal, next time I’ll just do half the recipe. 







No comments:

Post a Comment