Tuesday 25 July 2023

FEELING GREAT AT 78

 
What an incredible gift to be alive! It’s a wondrous feeling  to be lucid with all my mental and physical faculties intact. Moreover, isn’t it awesome that I can still walk 7 kms everyday sans any pain. 


                      Wonderful blessings

I draw inspiration from past experiences and my present circumstances to appreciate my life better. 

Professionally fulfilled in an institution educating children for 30 years; 

Happily married to a gorgeous, dependable and supportive husband who sings love songs to me everyday.  

For bringing into this world three wonderful, generous and thoughtful children with whom I'm beyond proud to tell the whole world about them and what they have made of themselves. 

I gained 3 professionally accomplished children in law;  an amazingly stunning daughter and two handsome, responsible and family-oriented sons. 

Add there our treasures;  two beautiful and loving grandchildren who keep us current in this fast-paced digital world. 

Grateful as well to find myself finally embedded in a community of like-minded and supportive friends. 

       WHAT MORE CAN I ASK FOR




 Do the above photos say exactly how I feel: “What more can I ask for”?

                THE REAL SCORE

Having lived more than three quarters of a century, I know that there were more years before and less years ahead to my life.  Time is running out. Oh my! Where did the time go?  It flew like a tornado. 

I need a plan to make the most of my remaining days; I can’t just let life pass me by.  In Costa Rica, a Blue Zone country, they call it “plan de vida”, a lifestyle aligned with a purpose; one that is totally opposed to a stressful fast-phased lifestyle; like “getting things done as much as possible and as soon as possible”. 

I feel inclined to follow the lifestyle of people in the Blue Zones; the five regions of the world where the longest- living people reside.  It is said that they  integrate “healthy natural foods, social connection and natural movement”. 

They say that the Japanese concept of finding one’s “ikigai” is directly link to longevity; ikigai being the motivation or inspiration in one’s day.  Walking with my friends first thing in the morning is my ikigai for it gets me out of bed and makes me look forward to each new day. 

What else shall I do then but enjoy life’s simple pleasures; walking, gardening; socializing, laughing, making new friends, and engaging more with my family, my friends and my community. I must savor the small pieces of heaven that each day brings. 

Have you heard of Mildred Kirschenboum, the most instagrammed centenarian?  This is one recipe of living active and healthy at her age. She said: 
“I focus on what I have, not on what I don’t have and be grateful for all of them.”. 

I’ll continue learning new things; prepare healthy cuisine  for me and my husband and for the occasional visits of my children.  And  I’ll do the most wonderful thing that old folks do; 
“JUST LIVING!”. 

As I celebrate my 78th birthday, I am so grateful for the countless life lessons I learned,  the good days with all the blessings, all the opportunities to live my best; maybe much more than I deserve.  I won’t change anything even if I can. 


No comments:

Post a Comment