Wednesday 3 March 2021

JOURNAL OF NEW THINGS I LEARN EVERYDAY



Two months passed and I’m wondering how everyone is doing about their new year’s resolution or whatever they resolved to pursue this year.  We all know that interest wane after a month or two.  Some resolve even fall apart just as they started. 

I think I have a good start, maybe even great and I feel I can do this and won’t lose interest.  

It dawned on me to log new things that I learn everyday.   Never old enough to learn, right?  

They could be in the form of:
-ordinary life lessons that appeal to me;  
-quotes that are great to live by; 
-idioms or expressions I can use; 
-words  whose  meaning I cannot understand when they stand alone 
-internet lessons that will keep me cyber-up-to-date. 

Here are a few I’d like to share though, I already logged a lot. 

I learned to use a QR code on my iPhone.
That's a good one, right?   Now I feel confident bringing out my iphone when I enter establishments using QR code instead of signing on their logbook.   

Here are some quotes:

From Predident Joe Biden: 
“Failure at some point in your life is inevitable, but giving up is unforgivable.”  Who knows when I’ll hit a rough patch and this will give me courage?

“Somewhere along the course of life, we will learn about ourselves more and realize that there should never be regrets but life-long appreciation of the choices we made. ” - from a post of my friend Nina. 

Here’s top favorite quote, a copy was always under the glass top of my office desk 
“The Lord is my Pacemaker”  
by Tobi   Miyashina. You can google this, a great one to live by. 

“In almost every aspect of life we can manage our risk but not in love; it is all or nothing. It is absolute bliss or total devastation”   -
 I got this from a novel I read but I can’t recall the author. 

Here are some of the few words I learned; words that are easy to understand when used in a sentence within paragraphs because I can grasp the idea but not when they stand alone. 

Now I am confident to use them in sentences; as my grammar teacher used to say: new words learned become “words at your command”.  
Wait, did I just use an idiom? 

Smidgen - /smijin/  - A small amount of something.  

Interloper - /in(t)er lo par/ - A person who become involved in a place or situation that he is not wanted or is considered not to belong.

Doozy- /dooze/  -something outstanding or unique. 

Gnarly- /narle/  -difficult, dangerous, challenging 

Here are some expressions and idioms new to me:

“On tenterhooks”- means, waiting nervously for something to happen. 

“The whole kit and caboodle” - means a collection of things. 

“The world is your oyster”  means being able to do anything you want because you have the opportunity to do so either through talent, looks, luck, power or money. 

There are more new words in my journal but I feel this will suffice for now and you get the idea.  Do I sound like grammar teacher?  You be the judge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment