Friday 2 October 2020

COST OF ORNAMENTALS REACHED AN ALL-TIME HIGH DURING THE PANDEMIC

.

 Our family has a knack in gardening.  All of us siblings and our children have at least a pocket garden at home if there is no yard.  This is also true in my husband's family. 

My younger daughter who lives abroad has acquired several ornamentals in recent months.  Early on she didn't pursue this because she and her husband often travel.  During this pandemic when she now works from home, she finally indulged in this hobby. 

I was chatting online with her last night after sending her a picture of a week-old, not yet established lemon lime rubber tree plant selling for 200 php in marketplace.   I know she has three kinds of rubber tree plant and I was curious how prices compare.

While it is true that prices of plants vary depending on location, I didn't realize how prohibitive rare ornamentals cost nowadays.  I was surprised to learn that it is being blown out of proportion; cost could run to thousands, up to 100k php or even triple that for special decorative plants. Though that could be an exception because of beauty and rarity.  With that money, I said I could already buy decent jewelry. 

I grew up in the province during the time when most of our ornamentals were from cuttings shared by neighbors.  Well, with the exception of my papa's magnolia tree and fruit-bearing ponderosa Chico trees that I know he purchased. 

In the late 50's and early 60's when bougainvilleas became a craze, people in our province shared mature twigs of their plants to friends and neighbors to propagate.   In the late 70's my housemaid grew several plants the same way.  

So why is there a  price spike on plants now?   Could it be the pandemic when most of us are at home that we diverted our attention to plants?   Or is it Instagram post-worthy since there isn't much to post at this time?  True, we haven't been dining out and most of us do not even go out at all so what is there to post except our activities at home?  I also noticed on Facebook that most dining out posts are throwbacks.

Moreover, I believe that acquisition of rare ornamentals has become a status symbol.  Nowadays I see zoom interactions of broadcasters, celebrities, politicians and resource guests on tv with tall and rare ornamentals in the background. 

Pre-COVID, a friend who is a flowering ornamentals aficionado said that some of her plants were bought online, like bougainvilleas costing 3k-5k php.  Not really used to buying plants, I cringed hearing that. 

Nevertheless, I myself was not immune to this current craze.  In July I also bought a 6-foot flowering bougainvillea for 900 php which is already a bargain.  Call me a scrimp but I still consider that a splurge.   On the other hand,  I was able to propagate at least 10 bougainvillea varieties from cuttings given by friends and neighbors.   Planted in June, most of them are now 2-feet tall. 

How about you?  Were you also lured by the plant craze?  Or did you prefer baking or selling items on line.  I'd love to hear your pandemic hobby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment