Wednesday 15 February 2017

PICKLES


Today, I decided to make pickles.  I got inspired after I had lunch with my college Besties at Bulgogi Brothers BBQ Restaurant last Sunday.  We all fell in love with their side dish of pickled kangkong (water spinach) that we kept asking for more.  

Maybe I am getting fascinated with kangkong lately that I often use it for sour broth and just the other day, I stir-fried kangkong with tofu in oyster sauce. 

Today I made kangkong pickles. Along with daikon radish and carrots.  I thought I had singkamas in my crisper that I could combine with the carrots, unfortunately I've used it for spring rolls earlier, so I'll do that next time. 


kangkong in bunches, carrot and radish


I sliced the carrots in long julienne and the radish into thin slices.  I cut the kangkong stalks, leaving the small leaves at the tips and saved the lower stalks as well. I can use the big leaves later with tofu and oyster sauce just like I did two days ago, please see picture of the dish below:





I put salt in the radish until it sweat to remove some of the tangy juice then washed three times to remove the salty taste. 

I washed the kangkong stalks and poured over the boiled pickle mixture.  Two cups each of vinegar, water and sugar with 1 teaspoon salt mixture was boiled and poured over the veggies already in Mason jars. 



I waited for the jars to cool down before I tightly covered them. 

There were a lot of kangkong so I put the remainder in a bigger mason jar. 
 
They will last two weeks in the refrigerator unless we consume them before then.  They will go well with fried fish, chicken or pork but tomorrow, I will prepare Korean BBQ to go with these pickles. 


No comments:

Post a Comment