Sunday 19 February 2017

PICKLES AND MORE

When we pursue our passion with a vengeance,  it may seem to others that we are over-doing it and the usual comment is : " hey, you're angry".   
Well, I'm making pickled veggies again but I'm not angry.   I'm just feeling passionate on pickling at the moment because I found a way to eat my veggies without the hassle of preparing them for every meal.  

Today I just made a variety of pickled veggies to choose from whenever and whichever I'm in the mood for.  They go well with anything, pork, chicken, beef or fish; it works as an appetizer too and eating them fills me up easily so I eat less of the main course which has definitely more calories. 

Today, I pickled the following veggies

Bitter gourd, cucumber, turnips, small shallots, and daikon radish.  

Jim helped me peel them.  He cut off the shallot leaves and peeled the bulbs to be pickled. 

I sliced bitter gourd diagonally after I removed the seeds and scraped off the white portion with a spoon, that part is so bitter.  

I put salt to the sliced bitter gourd and daikon radish and let them sweat out the tangy juice, then I squeezed further.  I then rinsed and squeezed three more times to remove the salty taste. 

I chose the Japanese cucumbers to be pickled because they normally have less seeds.  However I found that some parts still have significantly big seeds.

Notice that I started to take off the part with big seeds.

When all the veggies were sliced, 


I sterilized the mason jars and put the veggies in. 

The usually mixture of two cups each of vinegar and water, 3/4 cup white sugar and 1/2 tsp salt is brought to a boil and poured over each jar.  As soon as they cool down, I covered the jars tightly. 

My final products.  

I still have kangkong and carrots left over from yesterday.  I just added the excess turnips in the carrot jar. 


No comments:

Post a Comment