Saturday 5 July 2014

Another Birthday?

I


July is here again! I'm having another birthday soon. This reminds me that I have to renew my driver's license.  Am I looking forward to this birthday? How do you think I feel to have another candle on my birthday cake?  Honestly?  I don't know. 

Come to think of it, maybe it won't matter much if I gain in age as long as I'm fit and healthy; then I can say that "I'm as old as I feel".  Besides it is also a good thing that nowadays people put only one candle on birthday cakes.  But who is counting anyway? Well, certainly not me!  Why fret over something that's inevitable? Instead, I'd rather give credence to this life I've been given by enjoying it to the fullest. 

Many people are so conscious about getting older; some people I know even lie about their age, especially the ladies. I can never forget a colleague at work who stopped adding a year to her age after she turned thirty. I laughed when I over-heard her best friend say:  
"see, you're already thirty three, remember you were born that year when ......  ",     
well, she forgot her actual age because in her mind she wants to believe that she's still thirty. 

I've never lied about my age, no reason to, since everyone will take a look at me and they'll know anyway.  So whenever I'm asked, I honestly tell the truth;  I'm even proud about it especially when people flatter me that "I don't look my age".  However please don't ask about my weight, since that's a different story, "that's very personal". Hahaha!  

Now that I still have a year before my "diamond" year, yes!  I'm turning 70 next year;  I still have my priorities lined up;  even if there are  "so many things to do, with so little time";  that won't stop me from maximizing my potential, continue exploring my God-given gifts and enjoy my most important relationships.  

A grandson was just born two months ago, I want to be part of his life, at least his growing up years and if possible, his adult life as well.  And why not? I'll try, until I fall.  Was it at his recent christening that my comadre, (mother of my daughter-law) wondered whether we will still see him graduate from college? That made me think for awhile and my impulse reply, (which I kept to myself) was:  "que sera, sera"; but immediately afterwards, I pledged in mind to take better care of myself from here on, so I will have a fighting chance to be there by then. 

I accept that no one is invincible and that we all have to go sometime.  When people reach my age, I believe that they are aware that they are just "living on borrowed time".  What to do then?  We must take advantage of this bonus. Who was he who when asked: 
"what's good about old age?" And happily answers: 
"living"!
 It's true and I totally agree.  

 Ask any physician or your aged grandmother
 "what's the secret of long life?", 
and most likely the answers would be:  
"adapt a sensible lifestyle", 
"get enough exercise", 
"stick to a  heathy diet". 
Though, these are very important, personally, I need more than that, if I were to live long, I must have great relationships; it should be full of learning activities that stimulate my mind and enjoyable as well, all in all, it must be full of fun! 

Now, don't get me wrong because I'm not just talking of "great relationships" as in "romance" here, but if one has that too; then so much the better.  I'm talking about loving my family more; what is not to be happy about when I have loving and thoughtful children who lead sensible lives and adorable grandchildren?  What is not to like about good friends and concerned nelatives?

I believe that the key here is to surround oneself with people who matter most in one's life; interact with friends; reconnect with long-time ones; meet new people; talk to strangers, get interested in the people around us and they will get interested as well. 

Aside from good health and great relationships, finding inspiration from a hobby is important to me.  I need to have something to look forward to;  to be lost in a pre-occupation that makes me forget time; a reason to get up every morning and be enthusiastic to face the new day.  Did you ever experience waking up and going straight to your garden to check on the seedling you transplanted yesterday? Or to see whether the long awaited rosebud opened?  Or did something sprung from the seeds you sowed last week? 

I recall when I was a little girl, my Mama grew cactus:  
"they're low maintenance; needs little water", she said. 
She planted them in colorful, decorative, small pots and used them as center pieces on tabletops. I can still imagine her pleasure whenever she arranged each plant around our home.  I'm sure that brought her so much joy.
 
Then one plant had a bud. I didn't know until  she told me:  
"it will open soon, just once and only at midnight".   
So, one night my Mama and I waited until midnight to witness the bud  open.  I was so sleepy but my motivation to witness this flower open kept me awake. It was such a wonder to see each white petal with pink streaks wake up; exude fragrance and immediately after the entire flower fully opened, it began to close,  turning into a bud again and wilted;  just like Cinderella's carriage turning to a pumpkin at midnight. 

Now I wanted to make sure that this incident I recall from my childhood isn't  just a dream or my imagination at work and found out that it's true, there are flowers that only open at midnight. You can check this link:



Talking about pre-occupation, my husband once told me about someone who wants to tee off ahead of the others because he wants to be the first to walk on the grass fresh with dew early in the morning.  Some say it's the smell of the grass that makes them want to play golf; others just like the sight of green everywhere and the wide open spaces or the fact that they will hangout with buddies at the clubhouse afterwards that motivates them. 

Whatever it is, look for that activity that can provide inspiration and  joy; find one that really interests you,  something  you truly enjoy and surely that will keep you going. 

So now you ask me, am I looking forward to my birthday? And why not?  I'll surely get gifts; we will eat out and many friends will remember to greet me. And oh yes, maybe I'll get a Fitbit or a Misfit band as a birthday gift to myself. Who knows, that may encourage me to exercise more. Now, isn't that something to look forward to?  

To my contemporaries, what do you say? I'd appreciate hearing your take on this and about life at this "certain age".  Watch out for my birthday resolution in my next blog; it's already in a draft. 

No comments:

Post a Comment