Thursday 12 June 2014

My Grandson's Christening

The baptismal ceremony

It was a happy occasion; the christening of my grandson. My husband and I had to fly thousands of miles to attend this important milestone in our family. Though we only stayed overnight and flew back home the next day, we didn't regret it a bit; we're so happy to have been there, missing this occasion is unthinkable. 

The christening took place at The Catholic Church of St Ignatius. It was a solemn and orderly affair, very well conducted by the parish priest with two volunteer assistants who queued the participants every step of the way. I learned that they only administer baptisms every first Sunday of the month, I believe it was a lucky day as it fell on the 8th day of the month.  Moreover, there were also 8 infants that were baptized that day.

Dad, Mom and son wore white at the church. As I mentioned in my previous writing, my grandson wore the white baptismal garment that I brought with me which belonged to my younger daughter who used it at her baptism 33 years ago. The other infants' attire were varied; one boy wore a white shirt with a black bow-tie; a girl was wearing a headband but she still had very fine hair. The families attending were in their Sunday's best. But the best dressed were my grandson and his family, if I would say so myself. 

Though it was a mass baptism, the major parts like the anointing; blessing and invocation of God over baptismal water, prayers over ears and mouth were all done individually.  This gave the photographers a chance to take pictures every step of the way. My grandson, whose Mom brilliantly timed his feeding slept through the entire ceremony while some of the infants were impatient. After the rituals were over and done with; the priest announced that he would pose with each infant and his family. The entire ceremony took about an hour. 

The Reception

A reception of about fifty guests was held at The 2nd Floor of The American Club.  Again, my grandson behaved in spite the ohhh's and ahhh's of the guests who came to take a closer look at him, a dear lady even prayed over him.  The closest and dearest from the offices of both my son and daughter-in-law were invited together with friends and relatives who live in town. 

There was a sumptuous spread of roast duck and beef,  pork shar chu; about 7 other assortment of fish and meat dishes; salad greens, fruits and an array of mini-cakes.  But what I enjoyed the most, the one I had to go back to the buffet table for, was the salmon with tomato-capers salsa as well as the sweet prawns in wasabe sauce.  I'm not so fond of prawns but I enjoyed this so much. These two dishes were what I practically ate with fresh fruit. 

After dinner, my son expressed his thanks for the overwhelming support and prayers offered for the health of the newborn; as well as the gifts, the cards and balloons; and the numerous well wishes.  Finally, he passed around cigars and the guests bade their good-byes.  Of course, the family stayed on and had another round of food while we rehash the celebration. Everyone had a good time. 

Now I'm wondering why I enjoyed it so much, compared to the christening of my three children. My memory is still vivid on these three occasions when they were baptized.  Maybe my husband and I were pre-occupied with the conduct of their  christening then that we did not have enough time to really enjoy them. 

Again, I say that the best part of grand-parenting is enjoy the grand children with no responsibilities whatsoever. Grandparenting is the best! 

No comments:

Post a Comment